Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Re-barreled Ruger Blackhawk (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/re-barreled-ruger-blackhawk-30251/)

yazul42 08-10-2010 12:55 AM

Re-barreled Ruger Blackhawk

I recently had my Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum rebarreled and new sights installed by Mr. Gary Reeder at Reeder Custom Guns in Arizona. I must say the work was done in a timely manner, earlier than his quote, and the piece shoots great. When I got it back , I headed to the club to put some rounds downrange. Although it printed left for me, the first 2 rounds touched.
I have since made some adjustments and it is definitely going to be a fine deer and hog puncher. It is capable of far better accuracy than my ability, my eyes are old and it is just too portable and handy to carry to mount a scope on the revolver, but as I age, I will relent and do so. It outshoots my Redhawk with less barrel length. If anyone would happen to want custom work on a revolver, I believe they would be quite pleased with the job Mr. Reeder will do for them. I am. It's a good feeling to have an accurate revolver that isn't so heavy you need a fencepost to steady it. I shoot about 4" groups at 50 yards with it,, not impressive, but definitely minute of deer.
Does anyone else have any good experiences with 'smiths that could be useful for the rest of us to know?

Good shooting
Jeff

robocop10mm 08-10-2010 12:50 PM

Pics! We need Pics!

Missileman 08-10-2010 01:40 PM

What length of barrel did you have installed? I have a Blackhawk Bisley in .41 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel--a little long but it really shoots nicely.

masterPsmith 08-10-2010 01:50 PM

Nice choice on gunsmiths for your work. Gary Reeder is a great pistolsmith and does very fine revolver work. Your Blackhawk, with the right ammo should shoot under 1 1/2' at 50 yards or better. Need to post some pics of his great work............

Jim...........

yazul42 08-10-2010 07:25 PM

I will get my son to help me with some pics and I agree mastersmith,, it will shoot alot better than I do,, but practice and perserverence will tighten the groups. As I said, I may end up scoping it, but not now. Mr. Reeder put a 5 3/4" bull stainless barrel on the blued Blackhawk. It has a set of Pachy grips,
which are not a pretty as wood or stag, but it does help on control. Hopefully this evening I can post some pics.

Jeff

yazul42 08-10-2010 08:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hopefully these come through, my first attempt,, actually my son's, although his photography leaves a lot to be desired.

Jeff

masterPsmith 08-13-2010 01:33 PM

Very nice indeed.............

Jim........

yazul42 08-13-2010 05:53 PM

Thank you Jim,,, I am extremely pleased with the work done by Mr. Reeder. I just need to put alot of rounds down range and work on stances and impromptu rests to simulate hunting conditions, The revolver is fully capable, I must work on my discipline and be prepared. Like my father said " It ain't the gun's problem, it's yours." I must to do the range work.

Jeff

amoroque 08-13-2010 06:54 PM

that looks very nice, I like the new two tone look of the gun.

masterPsmith 08-14-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazul42 (Post 331145)
Thank you Jim,,, I am extremely pleased with the work done by Mr. Reeder. I just need to put alot of rounds down range and work on stances and impromptu rests to simulate hunting conditions, The revolver is fully capable, I must work on my discipline and be prepared. Like my father said " It ain't the gun's problem, it's yours." I must to do the range work.

Jeff

Sounds like your on the right track as far as your practice routine for hunting. Not much more I can suggest except for practice, practice, practice. Good luck and good shooting........

Jim...........