Range Targets - looking for some ideas - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range Targets - looking for some ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I cut the 6" circle and arm out as one piece.

Don't cut the plate out with a torch or you will anneal it in about an inch, even the plasma cutter will soften this stuff at least a 1/4" from your cut, if you know someplace with a water jet that is the best way.If you have to drill some holes in this stuff it is best to use carbide tooling too.

Then I made a 12" long x 1/4' thick x 1' wide swing arm with a hinge on the end to mount to the 2x4 that is attached to the backstop.

After straightening the swingarm a few times and replacing broken mounting bolts and lags, I put thick rubber between eveything that bolted together.This seems to have fixed the problem, at least so far.

Here are pics of the ones I made and my range setup.The last pic shows the dent on the back side a 5.56 FMJ did when shot at 50yds, no damage at 100yds.
001.jpg
004.jpg
003.jpg

002.jpg  
Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #22

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

very nice! Your set up looks freaking awesome!

Unfortunately for me, I'll have to buy my own AR500 targets...I don't have the equipment to cut them out, but what im having trouble with right now is hanging them from the posts. I can do a straight bar real easy, but I want it to have some "give"

I'll keep scouring lowes/menards and hope they have some sort of swing arm that I could mount

Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Default backstop materials...how are they holding up?

Coyotenator, it looks like you are using railroad ties for your backstop - are they the standard 6x8 or something like that? Is there anything behind the ties as well? Also, how are they attached to each other? In front of the ties, what material are you using (right behind the targets themselves)?

I am trying to plan out a shooting range here at home too and like the setup you have. I was thinking of similar idea, and sandbagging behind the ties themselves and also along each side.

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I probably went overboard on this range, but I didn't ever want there to be doubt about where a bullet went from it.

Here is what I did.

I sank 6X6 posts 3 ft into concrete footings in mostly solid rock(Big fun with a jack hammer to get enough depth).I was concerned because the target boxes are filled with 900 lbs of "washed" (no dirt or small particulates) sand each plus the load from the ties.

The target boxes are 2X12 for the sides and bottom lagged into the posts and 3/4" plywood lagged into the sides for the top and face.I did a test box before I built these that was the same depth and then shot everything I owned at it with nothing penetrating more than 6", including a 300win mag.The pistol bullets stopped in less than 4" and the rifle bullets either disintegrated or penetrated less than 6".I waterproofed the boxes and drilled drain holes in the bottom and put filter cloth over them ,in case some water does gets in.It is very important that the sand stays dry so that it will flow and not pack when the bullet hits it.
On the inside of the target box face ,I stapled old truck mudflaps to retain the sand when the plywood got shot up.This has worked unbelievably well.I have sections in 2 boxes that have 6" holes and the mudflap is still retaining all the sand and barely looks marked.( the nubbins are part of the flap)I will replace 16" square sections of the bad box faces when I get a chance.
003.jpg

The railroad ties are 7"X9" and are stacked 10' high and 16' wide.I toenailed the ties together and to the posts.
This probably would have been enough, but the ties had gaps between them that I was afraid would allow a bullet to sneak thru if someone missed the target box.

So there are semi tires filled with sand behind and sand in between the tires and the ties.I lag bolted the tires together and to the ties and then foamed anyplace that leaked sand.I will finish the tire stack now that I have the tractor back at the place and heal from my most recent misadventure.(close encounter with a bandsaw.OUCH!!!!!!)It would have to be my trigger finger , it makes typing fun too.
003-copy.jpg