Range Targets - looking for some ideas
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range Targets - looking for some ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Range Targets - looking for some ideas

My friend and I have saved up our extra money and we're looking to get some AR500 3/8" steel plates to make some targets at our range.

We're wanting to do something fun with these, we have access to a welder, along with big wooden beams (his family tore down an old barn and we can have whatever lumber out of there we want...these things are like 10x10

We can do the construction and assembly ourselves, but we're coming up short on finding design plans or ideas for some cool targets to build.

Anybody have any favorites?

Follow up question - im getting mixed answers to this question: If you shoot this, say, with a .223 from 30-100 yards, can it actually ricochet and come back at you?

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 07-31-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You shouldn't shoot them any closer than 100 yards and make sure they are angled downward a bit.
If your asking for ideas as to the shape of the plates maybe bowling pin shapped ?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
You shouldn't shoot them any closer than 100 yards and make sure they are angled downward a bit.
If your asking for ideas as to the shape of the plates maybe bowling pin shapped ?
By ideas I meant in building stands... Dueling poles, spinning stuff... Basically think of a poor mans version of "top shot"

Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Ah got ya. Cool
Hope you get some good ideas. I really don't have any. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 697

we put screws and nails in some plywood to hold clay pigeons with. also maybe make a step design that you could have different targets on?? if you just want to use steel i say just go with a simple U shape to hang them from.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #6

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Cooperism

"For people who are concerned about lead spray from steel targets, we point out that spray is distributed in a circular pattern perpendicular to the angle of impact. It goes up, down and sideways regardless of the aspect of the target. (You can test this with cardboard shrouding if you wish.) Thus, nothing much is accomplished by slanting the target at minor angles. Eventually, of course, you will achieve ricochets, but target display will suffer." - Jeff Cooper 2003

Here's a good read on the subject;

Steel Challenge

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 07-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Cooperism

"For people who are concerned about lead spray from steel targets, we point out that spray is distributed in a circular pattern perpendicular to the angle of impact. It goes up, down and sideways regardless of the aspect of the target. (You can test this with cardboard shrouding if you wish.) Thus, nothing much is accomplished by slanting the target at minor angles. Eventually, of course, you will achieve ricochets, but target display will suffer." - Jeff Cooper 2003

Steel Challenge
Thank you, Canebrake, as usual, you are a gold mine of information!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #8

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Cooperism

Steel Challenge
Great read, thank you.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2271 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 821

I'd watch some Top Shot reruns and see what ideas that gives you.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I'd watch some Top Shot reruns and see what ideas that gives you.
I went back and watched all of Season 1 and 2...my problem is I need plans to follow...I can look at something and get a general idea of how they set something up, but my guesswork usually results in ... guessing ... and im no carpenter...but I can read instructions real well

We'll probably end up doing some basic stuff... i was hoping for some reactive targets, but I can't find any place for some concept designs that don't charge your out the hind end...I realize people gotta eat and thats fine, so I guess we'll just get some chain and some steel and see what we come up with =)

But that article from Canebrake is great...gave me a lot of info I wasn't aware of.