Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Range Targets - looking for some ideas (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/range-targets-looking-some-ideas-69276/)

PrimePorkchop 07-30-2012 11:16 PM

Range Targets - looking for some ideas

My friend and I have saved up our extra money and we're looking to get some AR500 3/8" steel plates to make some targets at our range.

We're wanting to do something fun with these, we have access to a welder, along with big wooden beams (his family tore down an old barn and we can have whatever lumber out of there we want...these things are like 10x10

We can do the construction and assembly ourselves, but we're coming up short on finding design plans or ideas for some cool targets to build.

Anybody have any favorites?

Follow up question - im getting mixed answers to this question: If you shoot this, say, with a .223 from 30-100 yards, can it actually ricochet and come back at you?

mountainman13 07-30-2012 11:56 PM

You shouldn't shoot them any closer than 100 yards and make sure they are angled downward a bit.
If your asking for ideas as to the shape of the plates maybe bowling pin shapped ?

PrimePorkchop 07-31-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
You shouldn't shoot them any closer than 100 yards and make sure they are angled downward a bit.
If your asking for ideas as to the shape of the plates maybe bowling pin shapped ?

By ideas I meant in building stands... Dueling poles, spinning stuff... Basically think of a poor mans version of "top shot"

mountainman13 07-31-2012 12:11 AM

Ah got ya. Cool
Hope you get some good ideas. I really don't have any. Lol

jjfuller1 07-31-2012 12:24 AM

we put screws and nails in some plywood to hold clay pigeons with. also maybe make a step design that you could have different targets on?? if you just want to use steel i say just go with a simple U shape to hang them from.

canebrake 07-31-2012 01:50 AM

Cooperism

"For people who are concerned about lead spray from steel targets, we point out that spray is distributed in a circular pattern perpendicular to the angle of impact. It goes up, down and sideways regardless of the aspect of the target. (You can test this with cardboard shrouding if you wish.) Thus, nothing much is accomplished by slanting the target at minor angles. Eventually, of course, you will achieve ricochets, but target display will suffer." - Jeff Cooper 2003

Here's a good read on the subject;

Steel Challenge

PrimePorkchop 07-31-2012 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 887699)
Cooperism

"For people who are concerned about lead spray from steel targets, we point out that spray is distributed in a circular pattern perpendicular to the angle of impact. It goes up, down and sideways regardless of the aspect of the target. (You can test this with cardboard shrouding if you wish.) Thus, nothing much is accomplished by slanting the target at minor angles. Eventually, of course, you will achieve ricochets, but target display will suffer." - Jeff Cooper 2003

Steel Challenge

Thank you, Canebrake, as usual, you are a gold mine of information!

beaglesam 07-31-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 887699)
Cooperism

Steel Challenge

Great read, thank you.

ScottA 07-31-2012 04:21 AM

I'd watch some Top Shot reruns and see what ideas that gives you.

PrimePorkchop 07-31-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 887869)
I'd watch some Top Shot reruns and see what ideas that gives you.

I went back and watched all of Season 1 and 2...my problem is I need plans to follow...I can look at something and get a general idea of how they set something up, but my guesswork usually results in ... guessing ... and im no carpenter...but I can read instructions real well :D

We'll probably end up doing some basic stuff... i was hoping for some reactive targets, but I can't find any place for some concept designs that don't charge your out the hind end...I realize people gotta eat and thats fine, so I guess we'll just get some chain and some steel and see what we come up with =)

But that article from Canebrake is great...gave me a lot of info I wasn't aware of.