Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range Respect

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
My private club is open to the public on Sundays so I only see this one day a week but we have solved the problem with brass catchers. 16" x 16" box formed with 1/2" PVC pipe and covered with netting. These keep your brass from hitting your neighbor and makes clean up a snap.

Make one and take it to your public range. You can keep it with youand if a semi auto shooter takes position to your left, you can offer it to him. You MAY just spark a courtesy trend and solve the problem.

Tack
This seems like an EXCELLENT solution! Maybe a LARGE dipnet for fishing or butterfly chasing could serve double duty.

Of course, i don't often shoot at actual ranges.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-30-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8589 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

If I am shooting an auto rifle, I will let the person in the potential impact area know- "If I am flinging brass at you, please let me know." Common courtesy. On the pistol ranges, we have 1/4 inch wire mesh between shooting stations.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #23

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

I would think a couple rolls of nylon window screen would work perfect for this you could put it on a roll between the shooters and roll it down for common courtesy if your flinging brass and roll it back up when done

Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #24

Likes Given: 18

that's a good point how are they collecting the brass at the end of the shoot if its all over the place?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1306 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 603

My first thought on this type of problem is to speak to the Range Officer and/or range management. If no one complains, they don't know it's a problem. Don't assume someone else has already done so - I can't tell you how many times I've been told I was the first one to bring something to their attention.

Second is to speak to the other shooters, but you always have to be careful when dealing with the public, especially when everyone is armed! Some people are often taken wrong or come off badly to others and just aren't diplomatic. It's also better if you have a solution to offer, such as the brass catcher idea above, instead of just complaining.

Lastly, just like a good Boy Scout, always be prepared! Now that you know a problem exists, you can request the farthest stall to the left, make a few brass catchers to give away as goodwill, and come with your own solutions. I used to have an IPSC standing target that could be extended to about 7' high that I would use as a "wall," adjusting it ip or down to block sun, wind or brass. The other useful items were a shooting sock and surplus blankets. The shooting sock covered the gun except for the action and could fire with the sock on. It would protect your weapon from nicks, dings and bangs that so often happen at the range. The surplus blankets can be thrown over your shoulder and your table in general to provide a "shield" from the brass onslaught, kind of like firing from camouflage! If you're covering up, the other shooter may either take the hint or comment, which gives an opening to discuss it.

Whatever you decide to do, remember that situations like this should be approached in a positive manner and looked upon as a way to get to know other shooters and range personnel. Going into it with a positive attitude and with possible solutions will make the problem easier for everyone!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

My biggest peeve at the range are the jackasses that attach a target directly to or too close to the wooden frame or put a cartridge case on top of the frame. Those frames have to be replaced and are built by volunteers. It still costs about $6 for material. I built a lot of frames so I know what it takes. I carry my own frame because I have gone out there on an off day and all the frames were shot up. If we had the manpower we could check out frames and require a $10 deposit. A family membership at our range is only $60 a year.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
My biggest peeve at the range are the jackasses that attach a target directly to or too close to the wooden frame or put a cartridge case on top of the frame. Those frames have to be replaced and are built by volunteers. It still costs about $6 for material. I built a lot of frames so I know what it takes. I carry my own frame because I have gone out there on an off day and all the frames were shot up. If we had the manpower we could check out frames and require a $10 deposit. A family membership at our range is only $60 a year.
I totally agree. On the other hand at the range I frequent there has been a relatively new President of the club who is a complete.... well, to be honest, he is a lawyer. Through and through. He has alienated the entire staff and many of the members (I am not one but I know many of them), most of the staff have quit, including the best Range Master you would ever want who had been working there for years. A couple of months ago I went there and the wood frames had been shot to doll rags, probably 80% of them were completely ruined, shot in half and folded over. It was done deliberately by people who are pissed off at the President. I don't blame them a bit. One day I went to the trap range on a public day and there was a big pile of brush right in the middle of the range. I was told that the President had ordered the brush to be placed there so that Members would "understand" that they needed to volunteer for brush clearing duty.

What's a guy to do? This place is 5 minutes from my house. I frequently am a guest of members. Personally I support the members.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thank heaven I have the wide open spaces of Nevada as my 'public' range.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #29

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 363

I dunno if this would help but maybe you could try to time your shooting with his / her reloading and visa versa so you are not both on the line at the same time?

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #30

Likes Given: 18

vikingdad
I want to come your club and educate this guy what a douche bag!!!