Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range Respect

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

Default Range Respect

I was at the local range yesterday and two guys at the table/bench to my left were shooting semi autos (I believe they were .308s). Anyway, their empty brass was being ejected and thrown from their rifles right at me. The hot sharp cases were hitting me, my spotting scope and my rifle. I noticed that down the line, others were experiencing this same problem, except that they did not see it as a problem. They just ignored it and kept shooting. So, I didn't say anything. I just tolerated it until they left. Then I got back to serious shooting. I had my Ruger #1 single shot and I did not want it to get all nicked up by ejected brass. I don't mind an honest nick or two through normal use or hunting, but this was totally unnecessary. I also got hit in the face and if I was not wearing glasses, I could have lost an eye. I should have asked the range officer about it and I will next time I am there, but is this normal for most ranges? Is there some kind of rule that some ranges have about shooting autos? Do some ranges have a designated place for autos only? It just grinds my gears that I have to suffer because of some slob's "fun."
cottontop

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Unfortunately, very few places have rules on being an inconsiderate a-hole.

The best course of action may have been to either move to the other side of them, or politely ask them to move to the other side of you.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

All I can say is I don't know how you guys do it, shoot with the general public. I realize for a lot of you there is no other option but from what I've read here, experiences shooting at a public range seem to be about 50/50, good and bad. If I ever get a place big enough to host a lot of shooters, I'm having every daggone one of you over for rifles and ribs, pistols and pork chops, revolvers and....tacos? We'll save the beer 'til the ammo runs out...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #4

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Sounds good vincent, count me in!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #5

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Sounds good vincent, count me in!
In like Flynn bro!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

The range I go to the shooting positions are far enough apart that the brass would have a hard time hitting your neighbor.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have this same problem, the range I go to assigns you a booth and you are not to move from that booth. I sometimes notice my brass hitting the person next to me and even though they don't complain, I feel like an ******* and I prefer to wait till they leave or stand my rifle case so it hits my case.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #8

Liked 4545 Times on 2197 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

My private club is open to the public on Sundays so I only see this one day a week but we have solved the problem with brass catchers. 16" x 16" box formed with 1/2" PVC pipe and covered with netting. These keep your brass from hitting your neighbor and makes clean up a snap.

Make one and take it to your public range. You can keep it with youand if a semi auto shooter takes position to your left, you can offer it to him. You MAY just spark a courtesy trend and solve the problem.

Tack

Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #9

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

I use a public range and everyone there that is a regular respects eachother and we all try to sit together in a line of wichever distance we are shooting at. That solves the problem of A-holes haveing no common sence or respect and we all feel a little safer knowing we are around serious shooters and not the idiot gun is a toy people and way to jumpy guy.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 01-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Flying brass can be annoying...

But who was there first? If they were, you might want to check with the person on the line to your left to see what they are shooting.

I tried hanging a sheet to keep my brass from pummeling the person next to me, but the RSO asked me to take it down because it obscured his view of the firing line. That made sense to me, so it came down. I might try see-through mosquito netting next time.