Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range report XDM .40 - No pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Range report XDM .40 - No pictures

*WARNING* I to be... Long winded, bear with...

My 3rd trip to the range with this gun. I'd love to go more often, but I can't seem to scrounge up ammo and range fee money... Also, I have no digital camera and the phone pictures well, suck. Sorry, no pictures.

Anyways, this post is to talk about this pattern I seem to be getting into. Low and right. (Right handed shooter, left eye dominant) I turn my head and close my right eye to shoot. My end goal is to be able to shoot with both eyes open. I'm thinking work on accuracy with one eye, then move on to both. I'm just... Not getting more accurate

This has already been summed up here wonderfully...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I stopped by the range today and shot like Stevie Wonder. I had so many flyers that I could have started a damned airline. The broad sides of barns everywhere are going to sleep a little bit better tonight.
Thanks for listening. This has been cathartic.
Ye Olde Charte says this would be 'tightening grip while pulling the trigger' Which I'm sure is true because I'm a wuss. (or at least I shoot like one) I flinch and twitch worse than a hottie running around midnight on Halloween with creepy background music a playin'. (damn seasonal humor temptation ) I read in another post good practice is snaps in the gun every 3 or so real shots, so I've put that on my list of things to consider.

I chalk up the other mosquitoes buzzing around to overcompensation of one sort or another. I had one REALLY good shot (out of 100 mind you, law of averages says they gotta hit something...) But I couldn't duplicate it. Perfect bulls eye at about 7-10 ish yards. We'll talk about that one to divert attention from the fact I didn't really have a group. Well, not really. I never missed the 3x4 ish foot target, if that counts. Proof I'm not blind I guess. If I had to call it a group it would be varying degrees of low and right anywhere from a few inches to almost a foot. You can judge the misses by how loudly I proclaim that I've just f%*#ed up the previous shot.

Now, I already have this tendency to go 'okay, what did I do wrong?' and really kinda nail that whole downward spiral bit. I'll start out much better than I finish in terms of accuracy. (3 trips, 50 rounds, 100 rounds, 100 rounds) See this for it being put better into words than me DOWN RANGE TELEVISION with Michael Bane - DOWN RANGE TV - DRTV (little side note, he's holding the gun exactly how I hold it, so I give myself props there) Now, as you might can tell from my posts thus far, yes all... 8 of them? I'm pretty easy going and not one to stress. This experience made me a wreck, I went... Oh hell, bought something I can't use...

Which is where we are... Today. Trollin the forums, looking for other broad side of a barn posts and trying to see what people did to fix it. I'd rather not shoot wrong for 20,000 rounds and have to un-learn it all. Questions? Comments? Declarations of pistol duels at dawn? You're pretty safe

It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds to me like you just need to practice trigger control & sight alignment. Proper follow through is a LOT as well. Are you closing your eyes and/or flinching?

Old 10-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

I'm flinching I know. Prolly worse than I think that I am. Like I said, wuss

Right now I'm just closing my left eye. You know those people that can wink without making their whole face wink and distort? I'm not one of them, so I close the eye and you get the scrunched up ate something sour grimace. Which I wouldn't care if I thought it helped, but it doesn't seem to. I also tried a makeshift eye patch to see if maybe it was something there. It didn't seem to improve anything. Well, between the eye patch and the grimace, I did manage to look more like a pirate. But nothing ELSE improved.

It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

"Flinching" (aka anticipating recoil) is one thing; tightening your fingers while pulling the trigger is another.

The snap caps will help with anticipating recoil. So will practice, and some people help themselves get over it by doing some shooting with a .22 (that allows them to concentrate on shooting without worrying about recoil, because there isn't any).

Tightening fingers while pulling the trigger is a different issue. If you hold the gun in a grip that is loose to medium in tightness, your pinky, ring and middle fingers may involuntarily tighten a little as you squeeze the trigger. That's what pulls your rounds to the right (right-handed shooter) as well as down.

An earlier poster mentioned follow-through. If you do some dry fire practice, pay attention to where the sights are after the "shot." If they move low and right, you're tightening your fingers while squeezing the trigger. Personally, to get past this, I made a point of holding my shooting hand very tight before I even put my finger on the trigger. Then, since most of your hand is like a rock, you can concentrate on just the trigger finger. And I'm sure others here will have more great advice.

Most of all, you probably just need more practice. And that's why most of us got into shooting anyway.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice

I'm going to do the bump drill that I saw up there ^ as well to see if that helps.