Range Report - Savage 12BTCSS .233
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range Report - Savage 12BTCSS .233

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Range Report - Savage 12BTCSS .223

Recently finished the glass bedding on my Savage and headed to the range to punch some holes. I've been slightly disappointed in the accuracy but resigned myself to thinking it was poor technique and that I just need more practice.
The rifle was also was freshly cleaned so I ran a few rounds 55 grain "fouling" rounds through it and set up some fresh targets. Got the usual results from the 55 grain FMJ. 1-1.5" (or worse) groups at 100 yds

I had done a bit of reading and decided that the 1:9 twist that Savage uses may be a bit too much for the 55 grain and with that in mind I switched to a 69 grain BTHP. The scope was not zero'd for them so they dropped from POA a fair bit (2" dwn and left) but seemed to be tighter groups. I switched back and forth until the next target change and did a quick and dirty re-zero for the 69 grain.

@ 100 yd range (longest they have), I shot the following 3 groups of 5 and 2 groups of 3, starting lower right moving to center upper right- upper left-lower left. I let the rifle cool a few minutes after the upper right (where I started ok but pulled the last two rounds ) I also rushed the last group of three to beat the next target change

The first group of 5:

and using OnTarget Software to score it:

I'm sure it's not a complicated program but I think it's pretty cool for freeware. Just scan your target and go. You can also take a picture of the target and import but there are a couple more steps to set the parameters.

I ended up with an average of .58 over the 5 groups, the kind of accuracy I expected from the rifle (but not necessarily from me).
Overall I'm VERY pleased

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Last edited by TCH2FLY; 03-24-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Very nice. For a factory stick, factory ammo, and only a little tuning you are shooting almost .5MOA.

That is a good value for the dollar spent in anyone's book in my neck of the woods.

Have you tuned the trigger, or done any further modifications or "custom" work ( lapping the lugs, scope mounting re-config, recrown factory barrel, reloaded brass that was fire formed )?

Very nice report. I dig that software. Free you say? Might have to give it a try....

Old 03-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Very nice. For a factory stick, factory ammo, and only a little tuning you are shooting almost .5MOA.

That is a good value for the dollar spent in anyone's book in my neck of the woods.

Have you tuned the trigger, or done any further modifications or "custom" work ( lapping the lugs, scope mounting re-config, recrown factory barrel, reloaded brass that was fire formed )?

Very nice report. I dig that software. Free you say? Might have to give it a try....
Thanks, I reset the accutrigger and it "feels" like it's about 2 lbs but I don't have a gauge. I have a Nikon 3-9x 40 Prostaff on Leupold rings/mounts and I shoot it off a wally world bi-pod. So other than that and the bedding job it's right out of the box. I was shooting Black Hills ammo.

Yep the software was a freebie

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very well done!

Old 03-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Nice shooting and report. I have noticed over the years,that most FMJ ammo is only good for plinking around and will not group for squat.

My AR's both have 1-8 twist and will shoot 55gr VMax's all day long into sub-moa groups,but Lake City 55gr FMJ will group 2-4".
My 16" Saiga will shoot the FMJ ammo pretty decent 1.5-2" and will do moa with the VMax's.