Range Report on the Ruger SR9c
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range Report on the Ruger SR9c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Range Report on the Ruger SR9c

It is good to have a lot of vacation and be able to go to the range on a Monday to avoid the weekend crowd!

This was my first opportunity to shoot this 9 mm. I had intended to take some pictures of the targets, but left them at the range. I doubt if they will frame them.

I started with 100 of the Winchester white box 115 grain FMJ. I also fired 50 9mm luger subsonic, 147 grain lead round nose flat point factory loads. Last was 115 grain FMJ re-loads.

I noticed in the manual that the gun is in safety when the mag is removed. However it would dry fire, so I inserted a mag, loaded a round into the chamber and removed the mag. The gun would not fire. Not sure why it will dry fire empty without the mag, or if it will never fire with a round chambered and no mag, but it did not this time.

The range is not that well lit (I know, what a surprise) and the three white dot sights did not stand out. Since this is a carry gun, and any use carrying or in home defense will probably be at night, I will probably help out these 60 year old eyes with an investment for some tritium sights. However since the gun is new enough that there is not a lot of third party eqipment available, and it is $119 from Ruger, I may try to get Santa Clause to bring them.

I was happy with the trigger pull. Once the trigger safety is taken up to the trigger, the rest of the pull is consistant and repeatable.

The first magazine was interesting. The gun jammed without firing about half of the first ten factory loaded rounds. Each time I would drop the mag, rack the slide and eject the round, reinsert the mag and successfully fire. After the first magazine, it digested all the rest of the rounds without problem. I have no clue where that came from.

The gun seemed to be firing left, though that could have been me. I made a small adjustment to the sight, and it corrected some. Next time I will remember my own screwdriver so the guy I borrowed one from can leave when he wants without disappointing me! That way I can continue to adjust until I think I have it right.

The pistol did seem to be more accurate with the 147 grain ammo.

All in all I am satisfied with it, and assume the craftsman will improve, and the accuracy will get better. More likely the craftsman then the tool!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
The gun jammed without firing about half of the first ten factory loaded rounds. Each time I would drop the mag, rack the slide and eject the round, reinsert the mag and successfully fire. After the first magazine, it digested all the rest of the rounds without problem. I have no clue where that came from.
I do not yet own an SR9c, but I have heard that you need to clean out all of the factory grease really well before it will run perfectly.

Great report, after all of the reviews I have read on this little pistol, I am really starting to want one.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 10-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great report Nat, you made me want one!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I had the shooting to the left problem with my Keltec PF9 until I wraped some rubber around the grip. An improperly fitting grip can cause thumbing or heeling and pull the shots. Generic rubber grip covers are available as the gun is too new for a specific one. I have been looking at the SR9C and I noticed the front of the grip felt a little small to me but I have not fired one so I can not tell how it will shoot for me. I did notice that the pistol came up very nicely. I could not find one to fit the PF9 so I used a section of bicycle innertube. It does not take much extra thickness to make a difference and it greatly improved the grip. It is not very noticable. I did the same to my P3AT. Function is more important than looks to me especially in a carry gun.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-17-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Thanks for both the cleaning and grip wrap suggestions. I have since fired the gun and had no jam issues. The manual does not say clean the weapon prior to firing it. However, for the one I have for my daughter, I will clean it when I clean mine later today, so she will have hers cleaned prior to firing and we will see if the jams occur on the new one.

I had wondered about the grip and will look to see what I can use. A guy at the range suggested dry firing to see if my trigger pull pulled the gun to the left when I fired. I tried that, and found no movement. I will look closer at the next live fire opportunity.

Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

A lazer will really show the muzzle jump. It is usually not perceptable if it is only a small amount unless you use the lazer. Any lazer you can hold along side the pistol will do. They are great training tools.