Range Report Ruger SR9c
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range Report Ruger SR9c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Review & Range Report: Ruger SR9c

Beauty shot:

I got out to the range this morning to test my Ruger SR9c. I brought 300 rounds in different weights, configurations and manufacturers. I wanted to check reliability and accuracy, but above all reliability.

I field stripped the pistol, ran two patches down the barrel and shot it box stock as it came from the factory.

But first, some general observations of the pistol itself. The overall fit and finish is pretty good. No sharp edges, no burrs or machine marks that I could see.

The pistol has a changeable backstrap, flat or rounded. It's simple to change, just push a pin out and slide the backstrap down and out. I prefer how it feels with the flat backstrap.

The pistol feels remarkably slender, especially considering that it holds a double stack magazine.

I had concerns about the trigger and the safety doohickey, but once the pistol is cocked and locked, it felt good. Trigger pull was good. Not 1911 good, but good.

Another feature is that the pistol has a manual thumb safety enabling it to be carried cocked & locked. Since I'm a 1911 guy, I really like that feature.

Since I'm in CA, I had the two 10rd. magazines that came with it from the factory. I'm not happy with the mag followers. They nose down when loading, raising the rear, making it an acrobatic feat to load. That's even after inserting a round, although it gets better after a few rounds are loaded.
The plastic base felt loose on both of them.

The seventeen round mags that are available in the rest of America come with a grip adapter, effectively lengthening the grip. I think that they would be a necessity for larger hands. The grip is okay for me, but I don't have large hands.

BTW, all shooting was done at twelve yards. I left the sights at the factory settings, and the pistol shot quite low at 12 yards. For the last thirty rounds (post #7) I adjusted them and got them much better. It will take a touch more adjustment, but for now they're close.

So, 270 rounds were shot with Kentucky Windage. I cared more about function than accuracy. But, even shooting Kentuckily, it's a pretty decent shooter.

The pistol feels best shooting the 124gr. FMJ Nato and the 147gr. SXT's. That's good, because I think 115 grainers are anemic. In my mind, bigger is better in nine millimeter.

BTW, it ran like a top for all 300 rounds, no malfunctions whatsoever.

I like this pistol.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 12-05-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

First 10 rounds. WWB 115gr. FMJ

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Second Set, Win. 124gr. NATO FMJ

Last edited by CA357; 09-26-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Third set, WinClean 115gr. Truncated Cone FMJ:

Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Fourth Set, Win. Ranger 147gr. SXT HP's

Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Fifth Set, Federal 115gr. Hi-Shok JHP's

Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I adjusted the rear sight and found the sweet spot.

Sixth Set, American Eagle 124gr. FMJ

Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great review.

You say cocked and locked.

Since it has no hammer I am assuming that its action is more similar to an XD, which is a full-cocked striker,
and less similar to a Glock, with a semi-cocked striker ?

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. Yes, round in chamber, cocked and ready to fire, but has the safety on.

I really don't get the striker thing very well. I'm pretty old school and prefer a hammer that I can see.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With Sooo many good reviews on this gun it is quickly moving up on my list.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!