Range Report: Recession Buster Pistol (Hi-Point JCP .40 - used)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range Report: Recession Buster Pistol (Hi-Point JCP .40 - used)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Range Report: Recession Buster Pistol (Hi-Point JCP .40 - used)

I went to the range today and did a short test run of the used Hi-Point JCP .40 I purchased for 50 dollars total.

The weapon was cleaned beforehand, and oiled (as all weapons should be).

I only fired 50 rounds total due to time constraints so I couldn't really do any hardcore reliability testing. I will say that I fired two 10-round magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger, and the weapon functioned flawlessly.

I fired from multiple positions and grips and I did not experience any of the common malfunctions that most Hi-Points seem to experience (according to the opinions and testimonials on the web, that is).

I was using standard 180 grain FMJ ammunition (the cheapest stuff I could find).

The trigger pull is as expected, which is iffy at best. There isn't much consistency between each pull, and it can be tough to make pinpoint shots due to the uneven pull. It is not heavy (I'd estimate 7 pounds maybe) so that is a small plus on the trigger. The trigger is about what I'd expect from a pistol of this price, so I am not disappointed.

The recoil is low due to the heavy construction of the weapon. There is still marked muzzle rise (due to the heavy slide moving back and forth), but it is not extreme, and it is easy to get the front sight back on-line quickly.

The grips aren't the best in the world, but they work as intended to keep the weapon firmly planted in my hands during operation.

Bottom line is this weapon is serviceable for my needs as a utility pistol. It is nowhere near the standards of the higher end sidearms on the market, but it does work when needed, and I will expect years of good service from my model. I am glad I purchased it, and I look forward to using it as my sidearm when I go back to my range as a volunteer range official.

I talked to the president of my range today, and he stated he was looking for good volunteer range officials that aren't too caught up in talking about guns and failing to actually maintain a safe range. I told him that I have tons of instructor experience, and I would help out whenever he needed. He liked the idea, so he's gonna put me on his crew (HOO-AH!!!). Plus he actually liked my Hi-Point. He said they were ugly, but he's seen good ones, and bad ones. It seems I got lucky, and bought a good one.

7 rounds fired at 15 yards. No wind. Temperature was 58 degrees. 180 grain FMJ loads.

Pistol broken down for cleaning.

Just another picture of the weapon (after I cleaned it). Nothing special.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Nice report, SGT. For $50 you have a utility pistol with a lifetime no questions asked warranty for Bubba.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #3

The best thing about a pistol that price is that if you ever decide to get rid of it, you're nearly guaranteed to get your money back =)

Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #4

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I went to the range today and did a short test run of the used Hi-Point JCP .40 I purchased for 50 dollars total.
The trigger pull is as expected, which is iffy at best. There isn't much consistency between each pull, and it can be tough to make pinpoint shots due to the uneven pull. It is not heavy (I'd estimate 7 pounds maybe) so that is a small plus on the trigger. The trigger is about what I'd expect from a pistol of this price, so I am not disappointed.

Bottom line is this weapon is serviceable for my needs as a utility pistol. It is nowhere near the standards of the higher end sidearms on the market, but it does work when needed, and I will expect years of good service from my model.
Good report SGT, looks like it's a shooter!

Great price, think of it as $7.15 / # of trigger pull.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Good pirice and darn good shooting!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If anybody would like any cleaning tips for this weapon, please feel free to let me know.

That has also been a subject of recent debate regarding these sidearms. Some people believe that this weapon does not need to be stripped down in order to be cleaned properly, and some people believe that very little to no oil should be used as a lubrication.

I now truly think that improper cleaning of these weapons will lead to severely decreased reliability because of the design.

I'm going to be doing some more tests with this weapon because I want to find some type of concrete answers for the public.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I hate ugly hi-points just as much as the next guy, but for $50 I wouldn't have passed it up either.

Good report and keep us posted on the pistola!!