Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > RANGE REPORT: Kimber Pro Carry, Marlin 795, S&W 629

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default RANGE REPORT: Kimber Pro Carry, Marlin 795, S&W 629

Well, yesterday was my birthday and I just happen to have the day off work so I decided to make the drive up to my family's property and do some shooting. I loaded up my Kimber, my newly purchased 629, my model 19(not a glock) and my Marlin 795 that I recently mounted a scope.

First the Kimber...

I put about 200 rounds thru it yesterday and I'm now a fan. I was before, but I'm sold on it now. I love the trigger, the fast reset, the break, and just how easy it is to point. Here is a couple of targets I saved.

The first target is 25 rounds @ 10 yards. I was drawing from the Crossbreed supertuck, this is all double taps using 230gr FMJ.

dsc_0331.jpg

Here is one mag from 20 yards, again 230gr.

dsc_0332.jpg

I knew this was going to be my carry weapon but my XD was my go to weapon. Well gents, that has now changed. The XD got a good oiling and is resting safely. The Kimber now lives on my nightstand or on my person. Moving along...

Marlin 795.
I put a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope on this little rifle for the huge pricetag of $55 which brings the total price of this rifle to about $175. After getting it sighted in and playing with a couple hundred round I decided to actually shoot. Here are the results,

dsc_0335.jpg

dsc_0336.jpg

You can see on the second one I was getting tired and was stringing it, it ws the end of the day. Distance was 30 yards, 10 round groups, using a make shift rest.
I don't want to hear people saying the 795 is not accurate. I got this rifle for small game hunting and I'm sure it will get the job done. It's a bear bones, no frills rifle, it shoots and shoots well.

I took the 629 along and put a total of 12 rounds thru it. I will not post the paper as I don't want to embarrass myself. The only ammo I could find for it was WWB, 240gr JSP. That wood grip may look pretty but it sucks for function, a Hogue grip is going to be ordered before this cannon's next outing. I'm going to need some time and practice to learn how to tame this thing and actually put rounds where I want them.

Side note: IGETEVEN aka Jack, is a liar! I was in the chatroom with him the other day and asked him about the recoil on a 44 Magnum. He said it wasn't bad, the 8" barrel should help and that it was similar to a 357. He was clearly mistaken. Keep your eye on him.

The model 19 got one cylinder and then a squib. My fault, it was one of my loads, not sure what happen there. Not having the proper tools to clear it, it got put away.

All weapons were cleaned once I got home wrapping up a good day.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds like you had fun! I wish I could have joined you. How do you like the CBST? I'm loving how mine fits and feels. Oh and BTW, Happy Birthday!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Side note: IGETEVEN aka Jack, is a liar! I was in the chatroom with him the other day and asked him about the recoil on a 44 Magnum. He said it wasn't bad, the 8" barrel should help and that it was similar to a 357. He was clearly mistaken. Keep your eye on him.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I guess that would depend on who's girly hands are a shoot'in it! I also stated mine was ported.

Eat your wheeties boy!

P.S. good shoot'in with Kimber and the Marlin Spitty. Keep practicing with the 629. You are new to this "Big Boy" caliber world. You feeling lucky yet, punk?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a great, honest report.

I'm always suspicious of perfect range trips. I look closely for powder burns on the targets.

Take a good look at Kim Ahrends grips. I had his finger groove grips on a 2 "' Model 19 and a 6" 629 Classic.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Excellent Range report Spitty. Thanks for showing the whole truth.

And Happy Birthday!!

JD

Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Good report Spitty. I use Pachmayr grips on all my revolvers as they help the most with recoil. They cover the backstrap whereas Hogues don't. Wood stocks are pretty for pix, but I shoot with the rubber wraparounds...

Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Is this the kind of advice you should take from someone named IGETEVEN?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Is this the kind of advice you should take from someone named IGETEVEN?
Point well made.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the report spitty. Well done!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Damn fine report, Spitty. That was written in the spririt of the "Range Report" section, imo. Good and not the best. You sir, are one fine shooter and one honest member.

Happy Birthday and Happy Shooting!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!