Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Range Report Kel Tec SU16-CA (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/range-report-kel-tec-su16-ca-32000/)

Jo da Plumbr 09-20-2010 08:52 PM

Range Report Kel Tec SU16-CA

4 Attachment(s)
Range Report Kel Tec SU16-CA

I picked up a new 223/556 a few weeks ago. The Kel Tec is fully composite except for the bolt assembly and barrel. This makes the rifle very light (4 lbs.) which is one of the reasons for my choosing it. I also liked that the rifle holds two extra magazines in the stock, and that regular AR magazines can be used. Kel Tec also provides a lifetime warrenty and is manufactured in the USA.

I mounted a Bushnell variable MOA red dot scope on the Rifle that I purchased through Optics Planet, The cost was more for the variable MOA but I like the feature a lot. A 1-10 MOA dot lets me keep the setting large for quick acquisition in hectic circumstances. Or dial down to 1 MOA for more controlled shooting at longer range.

I scoped in the rifle at the range this weekend and was pleased with the results. Over 150 rounds with zero failures and the red dot worked great. As this is a MOB gun, (minute of bad-guy) I did not shoot for accuracy at targets. But after scoping was hitting 4 inch clays at 100 yards, and even hit the 12 steel plate at 200.

This will be an excellent travel rifle for the RV.

CA357 09-20-2010 10:44 PM

Excellent! You're going to love the portability aspect of it. I found them to be a pretty darn good shooter and very handy.

Jo da Plumbr 09-20-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 354302)
Excellent! You're going to love the portability aspect of it. I found them to be a pretty darn good shooter and very handy.

Thank you CA... I forgot to mention the SU 16 folds to carry in a rucksack or duffel bag.

M14sRock 09-21-2010 04:20 AM

I'm still bummed I could not make it on Sat! Great shooting Jo.

dunerunner 09-21-2010 04:50 AM

Nice rifle, bringing it to the Nationals??

Jo da Plumbr 09-21-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 354559)
Nice rifle, bringing it to the Nationals??

I got this for RV travel. It's light and weight is an issue in the rig. Also I do not like taking the AR. I never want to have to try to explain Calif's F'd up assault weapons ban to some Barney Fife in poodunksville, that thinks my AR should be in the closet he calls an evidence locker. So if I'm in the rig the Kel Tec will be along for the ride.

Txhillbilly 09-23-2010 01:12 AM

Jo,Did you try it with the forearm folded down into a bipod? I've heard that they actually shoot decent off the built in bipod.

I'll have to remember to bring the Keltec PLR 16 pistol out to El Paso for everyone to shoot also.

CA357 09-23-2010 05:41 AM

We had the girls out to the range back when I had mine. We had the bipod down and they all loved shooting it and they shot it well.

They're good little carbines. I'd own another in a heartbeat and the fact that they take AR mags is excellent.