Range report!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Range report!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7661 Times on 4603 Posts
Likes Given: 9573

Default Range report!!

I haven't been shooting in a couple months, or more, and yesterday The Pengie and I drove to Wisconsin to meet with Hunter Joe and do some shooting. This may be a long post so please sit back and enjoy.

I got to the range/gun shop about 1140 and met Hunter Joe. We shook hands, chatted about the drive up then sat and talked safety. Joe looked at my gun and we talked about it a little bit. Then we went into the range. Joe had to be working by 1400 so we shot his guns first and I was allowed to stay and shoot my own gun after he began working.

Joe started me out with the small caliber and he had a Ruger Mark II which I have decided just may be my next gun. It felt good in my hands and it was a blast to shoot. Here's my target for that gun. All targets were shot at 7 yards.

*sigh* I don't know why all my pictures are blurry but you get the idea.

Next Joe let me shoot a Argentine FM High-Power 9 mm. Here's the target for that one.

Then we moved on to a Glock Gen. 3 model 22 .40 cal. I really liked this gun!! Here's the target for that one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Then we moved on to a Springfield Armory Operator 1911 .45 cal. Here's the target for the 1911.

This is a little out of order but I'm saving the best for last. Joe also brought a shot gun as I have never shot one of those. He brought a Weatherby Semi-auto with a tubular magazine. It shot 20 g. shot shells. Joe showed me how to shoulder the gun, put my cheek on the stock and shoot it. I watched him then I took the gun. The thing just about blew me over. After the first shot, I regrouped a little then emptied it. It was the only gun Joe showed me that I didn't shoot several mags out of. Here's the target. I see a dead zombie.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Then Joe said "Wait here a minute, I'll go get another gun". He goes back into the store and comes back with, what looks to me, like a rifle. I am new and I am not good at identifying guns. But I do notice that the other group of guys shooting seem interested. *shrugs* Then Joe said it was a .45 cal Thompson (Tommy) Sub Machine gun....full auto. He loads the double magazine and shoots that thing off. I am beside myself with excitement, the group of guys shooting comes over to see what's going on with us, the owner shows up at the glass and is smiling and giving us the thumbs up. Joe reloads it and hands it to me. I pick it up (darn, that thing is heavy) and look through the sights and hit the trigger. About 5-6 rounds come flying out and I feel the gun start to lift. I let go of the trigger and Joe tells me to just do 3 shot bursts. I get the hang of that and empty the gun. Joe reloads it, I empty it again and Joe reloads it AGAIN and I empty it AGAIN. I was thrilled beyond belief to be able to shoot a full auto. Never in my life had I ever thought I'd be able to do that. Ecstatic, thrilled, excited? That's putting it mildly. Here's that target. This time I see a zombie laughing at me because it was difficult for me to keep that gun on track.

Then Joe went into the shop to start work and I shot my Ruger GP100. On the right is the .38's on the left is the .357's.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Those are some very unhappy bad guys WoC!! Nice shooting!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

So after I get done shooting and clean up, I talk to Joe and the owner for a couple minutes. Both men were friendly, kind, generous and very welcoming. Then they tell me about this man named Sam who is an instructor. Joe's boss, Jim, immediately makes a phone call, gets Sam on the phone and hands the phone to me. Sam and I chat for a while and I make an appointment to take lessons from him. Sam seemed to love teaching and was extremely friendly and encouraging. I browse around the store before I go and right before I leave Joe and Jim say "Sam just came in". Well, I go to meet Sam, I hold out my hand to shake his, he opens his arms wide and engulfs me in a big hug. I can't tell you what an incredible man he is!! He asks if I've shot yet and I told him I just got done and I was tired. So he asks to see my gun and he tells me it was an excellent choice as a first gun for me. He quizzes me on the different parts of the guns and what they are called. There were only two I didn't know. I didn't know the 'spur' on the hammer but I knew the hammer. I also didn't know (and can't remember right now ) what the thing is that pushes the cylinder to the next position after a round is shot. I could tell Sam was having as much fun as I was. He thoroughly enjoying being an instructor, me really enjoying learning. I'll be meeting with Sam on March 21st. I am so looking forward to his instruction. He pointed out some things I was doing that I probably shouldn't be. Not really wrong but things that might be slowing me up in becoming a good shooter.

All in all, I had a wonderful day and I can't thank Joe enough for hosting me, teaching me, letting me shoot all his ammo and patiently, kindly and generously showing me a good time. I wish there was some way to pay him back.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Those are some very unhappy bad guys WoC!! Nice shooting!!
Tight grouping? Not by a long shot. I have so much to learn and so many skills to develop. But, darn, I sure had fun!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Most excellent!!

Range Report of the Year so far, WoC.

Props to HJ as well.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Most excellent! That sounds like a great day. Huge props to Hunter Joe for making his world available to another member.

*thumbs up*

JD

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #9

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well done indeed!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yes!!! Excellent report and a great day Winds.

Thanks Joe, for being such a great host.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams