Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > A Rainy Day in the Desert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default A Rainy Day in the Desert

Played a little hookie yesterday and went out to the dez with my shooting partner. Jo Da Plumbr was supposed to join us, but his day was derailed at the last minute. Another friend was going to come along with his Barrett .50 but got stuck in a meeting til noon, by which time it would be too late to get out and shoot.

We brought along some long range rifles, as well as a couple of AR's.

Arrived about 0900 at our spot and it drizzled the whole drive out. Did not seem like a lot of rain, but after I threw down my shooting mat I dug out the rest of my gear. By that time the mat was soaked. Hmm....Maybe laying on the ground in the rain was not actually what I wanted to do...It was 40f and still as a tomb.

So I dug my AR out of the truck, an M4 profile Stag, currently with an old A1 stock. This carbine had 1800 rds through it since it's last cleaning. 300 Rem/UMC, 500 Guatemalan, and 1,000 Wolf 55gr. Yesterday it got another 700rds of Wolf fed to it.

It has been 100% reliable since the first day, and still is. Yesterday it hit 2,500 rds since the last cleaning. However, I wiped off the ghetto fabulous (gold Ti Nitride) BCG and gave it a big spooge of Fluid Film before starting yesterday.

It has a Stag upper, Stag lower, and DPMS parts finish it off. Miad Grip, A1 stock, M4 handguards with heat shields and an Enidine buffer.

I shot it yesterday with the Aimpoint Comp M3 2MOA, sometimes with a magnifier, but mostly without.

Here is an old picture of it. It no longer has the VFG on it.

My partner brought an 18" with a lightweight JP 1/8, topped with a new 3.5x ACOG TA11H-M249. It has the Surefire Break on it which works about as well as the JP Break, so essentially the muzzle does not move during rapid fire. Creamy and Delicious...

Here it is.

We set up our steel plates at 900, 600 and 400 yards when we got there and shot at the 400 and 600 plates from the top of the hill. We shot from the hill for a couple of hours, then did some spot and stalk on the plates, shooting from unknown ranges, which was great.

The spot and stalk from unknown ranges and unusual positions was too much fun.

Everything got thoroughly soaked by the constant light rain, but the AR's and optics were un-affected. We ran a LOT of rounds through them yesterday and had no malfunctions of any kid.

At the end of the day the Fluid Film held up great. I look forward to trying it during the high temp of a hot summer day. The Wolf is pretty dirty stuff, too.

Here is a pic of the dirty BCG, after 700rds of Wolf.

And here is a pic after cleaning,

My partner brought along his M&P22, so we broke it out and ran 1100 rds through it, too. Cheap Wally World Federal ammo, but no malfunctions. We ran 400rds through it two weeks ago, so it now has 1,500rds through it with no cleaning, no lube and no malfunctions. I slapped my Aimpoint onto the M&P22 and it was WAY more fun than the irons. I don't know how well the plastic rails on the M&P will hold up to lots of mounting and dis-mounting of optics in LaRue mounts, but for the occasional mounting and removal should be OK. I'm going to pick up an M&P22 this week and I think it will get an IOR red dot in a LaRue mount.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sounds like fun. Good damp fun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-19-2010, 03:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Sounds like fun. Good damp fun.
Thank God for GoreTex.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Even with the rain I'm sorry to have missed out. Good thing you wern't there today. Effin pouring now. They say maybe 10 to 12 inchs rain will have fallen by tuesday.

Went to the indoor range today to try to make myself feel better. And to try to get over spending the morning shopping at the mall.

100 rounds of 45, 50 rounds of 9mm and a couple hundred thruogh the Buckmark. I feel better now.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 12-19-2010, 04:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Even with the rain I'm sorry to have missed out. Good thing you wern't there today. Effin pouring now. They say maybe 10 to 12 inchs rain will have fallen by tuesday.

Went to the indoor range today to try to make myself feel better. And to try to get over spending the morning shopping at the mall.

100 rounds of 45, 50 rounds of 9mm and a couple hundred thruogh the Buckmark. I feel better now.
I know. The rain today was non-stop. I was up on Mulholland today and there were landslides all over. Tried to help move a big boulder out of the way east of Laurel Canyon but it was way too big.

Glad you got to burn some powder, though. Would have been nice to try out the AR, though, huh?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Looks like fun. Love the tiger striped paint job.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Looks like fun. Love the tiger striped paint job.
It was, thanks. I'm getting ready to repaint that stock set, I think. I found two more in the garage today, though, so maybe I'll leave it alone and paint the others.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
It was, thanks. I'm getting ready to repaint that stock set, I think. I found two more in the garage today, though, so maybe I'll leave it alone and paint the others.
What kind of scope is on the other AR?

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

"Everything got thoroughly soaked by the constant light rain, but the AR's and optics were un-affected."

I would have been surprised if they had. Very nice rigs and good pics. Fluid Film goes along with the 100mph tape and the Zip-loc bags, where would we be without them? Nice report.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 12-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #10

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
M14s motto is "if it doesn't move, paint it."