Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Powder therapy 11-26

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default Powder therapy 11-26

I was settled in happily watching Michigan State beating up on Northwestern when my phone rang. I answered and on the other end was one of my gun nut friends. He wanted to know what i was doing. I told him, "watching the game." He said why dont you gather your gear and head out and meet them at the range. I said, "sure, why not."

I am SO glad i did!!

The great news was that my one bud had bought a S&W 500 at the gun show earlier today. I had never fired one and couldnt wait to touch off the hand cannon! I think the video clip says it all.

500 Flash....

S&W 500 results....

We experienced a phenomenon I had never heard of. A revolver doubling!!

I noticed after viewing the videos, the 2 that shot the gun in single action had the doubles. The two of us that shot it in double action didnt have any issues.

Anybody else ever heard of a REVOLVER doubling!?!?

After the guys left i was able to get in some serious "ME" time with the guns.

I think i have found a new pet load for the 686. I loaded up some rounds with IMR 4227 for the .357 in an attempt to "just burn it up". It turns out i was getting even better results (tighter groups) with the IMR than i had gotten with the 2400. WHO KNEW!!

Also ran some more of my own loads thru the 1911 and got even more comfortable with them. I really like the results i am getting.

Spent some serious time with the PF-9 and got a little more comfortable with it.

A couple cool "shots" of the PF-9 in action...

I even ran some rounds i made up for the .44mag. with the IMR 4227 and can say i got similar results with that load as i am getting with the 2400. Might even be getting a few FPS better. Dunno for sure, can only guess without a chrono and go from the data in the load book.

A couple other cool "shots" from the 686.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Kewl.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Looks like a very fun day. Very cool photos. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Did you notice that the muzzle appeared to be inside the shelter and the cylinder barrel gap was obviously behind that.. There were no partitions between shooting positions. Please, look at "still #1". The safety issue should be obvious. I'm not trying to put anyone down, however this wasn't cool! it was dangerous for the shooters to your right.
It was good you had a good day. Those were nice looking groups. It was great no one was injured.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
Did you notice that the muzzle appeared to be inside the shelter and the cylinder barrel gap was obviously behind that.. There were no partitions between shooting positions. Please, look at "still #1". The safety issue should be obvious. I'm not trying to put anyone down, however this wasn't cool! it was dangerous for the shooters to your right.
It was good you had a good day. Those were nice looking groups. It was great no one was injured.
These places are DESIGNED to have the shooter and the gun INSIDE.

Look, you will see that when sitting at the bench the entire gun is inside "the shelter". "The shelter" is meant to stop rounds fired high so they dont fly off up and over the berm. Its a hollow cavity filled with sand. This is how ALL the public ranges in the area are designed.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 37

OK, I made no mention of your berm or backstop. Yes, it is apparent the shelter is designed with am attempt to keep muzzles down. Most ranges seem to have something called a firing line where muzzles must be extended over. Revolvers have muzzle blast and gases escaping from the barrel cylinder gap, some (believe it or not even have some lead coming out the barrel cylinder gap). Because of the fore mentioned, many ranges also have sheets of plywood held verticlally and perpendicular to the shooting positions to protect other shooters.
In the last clip we see a shooter with the muzzle well inside the shelter, negating the cross pieces meant to keep rounds down range. Realizing they are shooting a large caliber handgun, the shooter keeps backing up until there is some fixation with what - muzzle blast or a new portal to the Heavens causes him to look skyward.
If you think I'm full of manure watch the actions of your fellow shooters in the last film clip.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
OK, I made no mention of your berm or backstop. Yes, it is apparent the shelter is designed with am attempt to keep muzzles down. Most ranges seem to have something called a firing line where muzzles must be extended over. Revolvers have muzzle blast and gases escaping from the barrel cylinder gap, some (believe it or not even have some lead coming out the barrel cylinder gap). Because of the fore mentioned, many ranges also have sheets of plywood held verticlally and perpendicular to the shooting positions to protect other shooters.
In the last clip we see a shooter with the muzzle well inside the shelter, negating the cross pieces meant to keep rounds down range. Realizing they are shooting a large caliber handgun, the shooter keeps backing up until there is some fixation with what - muzzle blast or a new portal to the Heavens causes him to look skyward.
If you think I'm full of manure watch the actions of your fellow shooters in the last film clip.
ALL guns create muzzle blast. I am well aware of gasses escaping cylinder gap and am also well aware of some lead being shaved if cylinder lockup/barrel alingment isnt correct.

The ONLY range in the area i have ever been to (have been to most) that have had plywood separating shooting stalls is the local "target master" indoor range.

ALL of the state operated public ranges are designed this way. Even the new, high tech range, with sloping concrete baffle roof and walls and range master are like this, nothing standing between shooting positions.

In the last clip the "fixation" you mention is that we are all coming to realize this gun is doubling. EVERYONE had chosen to back up before that point. The shooter in the last clip is pointing out the "shelter" had done its job and had absorbed and stopped the errant rounds. Hell, next time i am up there i will take a picture just for you, if you like.

Have YOU ever heard of a revolver doubling?? Up until this day i hadnt! When it was discovered the gun was in a possibly unsafe fire condition all activity with the beast stopped and it was put away. The owner actually headed straight away for the local gunsmith.

You can continue to berate and attempt to make me look foolish and unsafe. But its wasted time! If you feel the NEED to berate and criticize, why dont you berate and criticize the ones who designed the range!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #8

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Here's your "doubling" fully explained by Ayoob...Some thoughts on handgun recoil: strange things happen when big guns go "boom." | Guns Magazine | Find Articles

Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Hmmmm....Makes perfect sense. Thanks man!!

I took to and now always shoot DA revolvers in double action. I learned (quite a few years ago) that the grip created forcing your hand to squeeze the trigger in DA makes for a tighter grouping.

The beast worked flawlessly for me, but i shot DA. When the gun doubled it was shot from SA.