Ported 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Ported 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default Ported 1911

It's been over 6 weeks since I shot a pistol and I can tell you it's a perishable skill. Stayed in GA this weekend so I was at the range when it opened to put several hundred rounds thru a couple. I brought the ported Caspian/Foster 1911, my Sig 239 in .40, and my old PPK in .380. All guns functioned perfectly with no problems at all and this was my first time to shoot the ported 1911 and the Sig. Warmed up by putting 100 rounds thru each and then decided to check the 1911 with defensive ammo. I had a box of Gold Dots in the range bag so I put 25 of these down range at 25 feet firing about 1 round per second. For each mag, I came up from a low ready and fired until empty.

As always, I have at least 1 flyer but I was pretty impressed considering it's been a long while since I shot - and it's the first time I shot this gun. I did notice the ported barrel makes a difference with hot ammo as it does lessen muzzle rise noticeably...

tgt0-x.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #2

Good Shootin!!!

Yep... I have a comp instead of ports and they do make a big difference.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That's damn nice shooting there NGIB. I am surprised that it's been six weeks for you. As often as you trade firearms, I thought you had a functional range in your garage.

JD

Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That's damn nice shooting there NGIB. I am surprised that it's been six weeks for you. As often as you trade firearms, I thought you had a functional range in your garage.

JD
I've been in SC nearly every weekend (riding the new bike) and there's no real shooting ranges there. Here in GA, my local indoor haunt is about a mile from the house. I'll probably head over again tomorrow as I really need the practice. This 1911 actually shot a bit low & left from how I set them up and I tinkered with the sights a bit. I like mine setup for the 6 o'clock hold and this one was more POA as it was. The Sig 239 was a real nice shooter as well - it's my house gun...

Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Porting can make a big difference in how a gun acts, I have a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag that I had ported. Before the porting my second shot would have been through the roof, now I can easily shoot double & triple taps.
Beware of the guys who'll crap on porting with the mention of "Night Vision deterioration" I say BS, every serious caliber will spit fire when discharged, fire that will just as readily ruin your night vision...

Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #6

Did some work on it this afternoon. Filed down the front sight a tad and put on a nitesiter dot. Moved the rear sight just a smidge right and installed new grips. Put some touch up blueing on the safety and slide stop as I really didn't like the "chrome" look on these parts. Will probably shoot this one again tomorrow to test the adjustments...

img_csp-x.jpg  

Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Beware of the guys who'll crap on porting with the mention of "Night Vision deterioration" I say BS, every serious caliber will spit fire when discharged, fire that will just as readily ruin your night vision...
I agree 100%. If you need to preserve your night vision, you shouldn't be touching off a round in the first place. Turn on the damn lights!

NGIB- What grips are those and is there a relief for an ambidextrous safety? I am still looking for some for my S&W .38 Super and I'm digging the ones you have here. Thanks.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That looks like some darn fine shooting to me! I wish I could slack off and still shoot like that. Let me know how that barrel does when you get it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
NGIB- What grips are those and is there a relief for an ambidextrous safety? I am still looking for some for my S&W .38 Super and I'm digging the ones you have here. Thanks.
Found them on ebay and there's a Pearce finger groove rubber grip mounted under them...

Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Very nice shooting there Dave! That guy won't be giving ya any more trouble.

Hey, why's there no rounds in that BG's head, neck, transverse 8 & 9 ring or pelvic area?

Ya gonna take that same target back to the range tomorrow and get your money's worth out of it?

BTW, I do love me some ported barrels on my 629, GP100 and some of my 1911's...day or night.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”