Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Please help . . . . (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/please-help-19560/)

njames 10-28-2009 05:27 PM

Please help . . . .

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm swallowing my pride and sharing my target of shame with everyone . . . . I know I should have used a different target for each caliber, but it was at the end of the NRA basic pistol safety class and I just wanted to see how I did with different things. The holes circled in yellow were from the .22 revolver used in the class, the pink are from a glock 17 and the green are from a glock 23. The glock 23 is the one that we have at home and that's why I was using it. I figured if we have it at home, I need to know how to use it and preferably shoot better than just taking out kneecaps . . . . lol. I'm hoping to go back this afternoon and try again. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
~Nicole

skullcrusher 10-28-2009 05:39 PM

Nicole,

Here is a link to a target that can help with the fundamentals. This is set up for a right hand shooter, flip side to side if you are a lefty shooter.

Correction Target

I hope this helps.

skullcrusher :)

dunerunner 10-28-2009 06:02 PM

Nicole, Welcome to the FTF!!

First, you need to shoot more....me too.

Second, once you get used to the weapons your firing, you will have a better "On Target" sense.

Third, have someone, preferably a qualified firearms instructor, check your grip and stance.

Lastly, relax and have fun!!

Jess 10-28-2009 06:05 PM

don't hold your breath..it is easy to forget to breathe if you are new to shooting and it makes you all wobbly. Also go SLOW. there is no need to shoot as fast as you can, first get accurate and then shorten the time between shots. and squeeeeeeeeeeeeze the trigger. My husbands Glock has a super hard to pull trigger. I don't like it at all

CA357 10-28-2009 07:22 PM

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

Same with firearms. ;)

Dillinger 10-28-2009 08:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You definitely need some more practice. The Glock 23, what is the caliber of that one? Is that the .40 S&W version?

Here is a version of the same target Skull showed you. You should be able to right click and save it, then print it out and hang the printed target out at 8 or 10 yards and shoot at it. As you do, you can see what the coaching says you need to work on.

For one of your first targets, that is not bad shooting. There is room for improvement, but don't sell yourself short. I have seen worse targets from men in my life. :D

dunerunner 10-28-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 179333)
How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

John Practice>>>>Sorry, I have "Last Action Hero" on for background!! :D

gorknoids 10-28-2009 08:55 PM

Welcome, Nicole!
A firm grip will limit the amount of available movement your hands can impart to the weapon on trigger pull. The more contact with the grip you have, the steadier your aim will be. But don't "pull" the trigger, just depress it. Even with the best sight picture, if your hand is writhing around like a boa constrictor choking the life out a a juvenile capybara, the muzzle will be off-line when the round departs. Practice doesn't make perfect. PROPER practice does, so check the essentials, change your targets often, and before you know it a Zen thing will kick in. If you play a musical instrument, soccer, softball or golf, you can relate.

utf59 10-28-2009 09:42 PM

njames, welcome to the forum!

Practice will tighten your shot groups. I recommend either a basic course that includes marksmanship techniques, or at least a good book. The book I recommended to someone on another thread is The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob.

Regardless of which course or book you choose, make sure it will address marksmanship fundamentals such as stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control at the very least. IMHO it would be best to find a course or book that discusses various techniques and lets you find what works best for you. If you choose well, you will also learn drills you can do at home such as dry firing and things you can do at the range such as using snap caps.

All of the information you have been offered so far is good and valid. And I'm sure more will be forthcoming. But for a new shooter, getting a bunch of pieces of advice from all directions could be overwhelming.

Enjoy your newfound pursuit, and keep us posted on your progress.

njames 10-28-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 179387)
The Glock 23, what is the caliber of that one? Is that the .40 S&W version?

Yes it's the .40 S&W . . . probably not the best to start, but I will keep practicing. Thanks for everyone's advice!! I'm hoping to maybe make it back to the range tomorrow with some printed out targets :)

I did have instruction in the basic pistol class, but I probably need more one on one. We only had 2 hours, 2 instructors and 8 people. lol. I'll post another target when I get back to the range. Thanks again!! I've always been a bit of an overachiever, so not doing really well at first hit me kinda hard. lol