Phone Book Test HP.45/.40 and FMJ.45/.40
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Phone Book Test HP.45/.40 and FMJ.45/.40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Phone Book Test HP.45/.40 and FMJ.45/.40

Hey guys,
I got bored this morning so I decided to do a little test I've been wanting to do. I set up some books and strapped them together to end up at about 9" thick. Then attempted to soak them with the water hose. I realized after I had shot that the inside was not thoroughly soaked, so I'm sure that made somewhat of a difference.books.jpg

Ammo being used is as follows: Remington Golden Saber .45 Auto/ 185 Grain/ Brass Jacketed HP. Next, was Winchesters .45 Auto/ 230 grain/ FMJ. Third, was Winchesters 40 s&w/ 165 grain/ FMJ. And last was was Remingtons 40 s&w/ 180 grain/ JHP. Handgun for .45 is Kimber Ultra Carry II(3" barrel). Handgun for .40 is Springfield XD-40 (4" barrel if I remember right).handguns.jpgAnd the phone book pic is the exit of the rounds, it was the first book in the stack.

At first I was surprised at how little penetration was, but after I thought about it, if that was a body and the bullet wasn't stopped by any bones, In my opinion penetration would probably be double what it was. Any ways, lets get some numbers out.

All of the data is visible damage to paper, not where bullet stops.
Remington .45 HP- 2 1/2"
Winchester .45 FMJ- 3 1/2"
Remington .40 HP- 4"
Winchester .40 FMJ- 5"

I did see something a little different thought. Can't really see it in the pic but the 40 FMJ deformed weird. The nose of the bullet was shaped into a U. The 45 FMJ was nearly unharmed. Both HP's didn't exactly mushroom perfectly like what I am used to when I am shooting wood targets. Never the less though, I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty to be on the receiving end of any these rounds.bullets.jpgexit.jpg

The Kimber is my carry gun, and I carry it with the same HP's in it. But after seeing these results I think I am just going to change to the FMJ's in it. I've always felt like it wasn't as reliable with HP's in it then FMJ's, and these results just kind of changed me over to carrying the cheaper, deeper penetrating FMJ's that give me peice of mind.Well thats all I got guys, I gotta run. Told the old man I would take him out to eat to day, Longhorns maybe? Hmm, Texas Roadhouse, Outback...So many good choices. Perhaps I should just take him to Mcdonalds and let him eat off the dollar menu. HA

Last edited by SHSBulldog06; 12-27-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

I have always wanted to do this, and the plastic water jug tests.

Well done, thanks for the input...

I have some very well rounded hollow points I use in my 1911 .45. I will have to test some day as you did with them. I also have cast and FMJ but in the house it is loaded with the factory hollows. If I miss in the dark I want the walls and whatever else I hit to stop the rounds before leaving my house.

glenthoughts
http://glenthoughts.blogspot.com

My .45 is a part of me, I trust it with my life, and train with it. First one to the giblets wins. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Water jug test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthoughts View Post
I have always wanted to do this, and the plastic water jug tests.

Well done, thanks for the input...

I have some very well rounded hollow points I use in my 1911 .45. I will have to test some day as you did with them. I also have cast and FMJ but in the house it is loaded with the factory hollows. If I miss in the dark I want the walls and whatever else I hit to stop the rounds before leaving my house.
Last summer I did some Milk jug test with my .44Mag. loads. I don't have the specs. now in front of me, but it was with a Hornady 180gr. XTP at Max load listed for W-W 296. 5 jugs side by side. Vaporized 1st jug-split open 2nd jug-went into and stayed in 3rd jug. Did this twice-both times the XTP was a perfect "flower pedal" mushroom at the bottom of the 3rd jug. I was satisfied with the results!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Well done, SHS.

For water jugs and ballistic testing, check out this site. The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #5

Glen, I can understand where your coming from with missing with the HP's. I like what the hp did, it made an awesome gash in the paper, my problem with it comes before i even shoot it though, in my Kimber the HP has a hard time chambering. It hasn't jammed while I was firing it yet, but I have only shot half a box of HP's out of it. When I rack the slide back if I don't let go of it violently it almost always gets stuck on the ramp. That is my problem with it, so I think I will stick with the ones that feel like butter going in, at least until I can find some HP's that go in nice for me. Or maybe do some work on my feed ramp, I gotta get some more info on polishing it or whatever is necessary. 'til then, though, it's gonna be FMJ's. Which HP's work well for you guys in a 1911?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSBulldog06 View Post
...... in my Kimber the HP has a hard time chambering. It hasn't jammed while I was firing it yet, but I have only shot half a box of HP's out of it. ......... Which HP's work well for you guys in a 1911?
Hey BD, there is a bigger issue in this one. I have seen this all too often. Guys will get a "Carry Gun" and buy one box of HP ammo for it. Maybe shoot a couple of rounds of their defense ammo out of it. Maybe a box. If you dont shoot several boxes of your carry ammo after the gun is broken in BEFORE you start carrying it you are doing a disservice to yourself. And may pay with your life. I know it is expensive, but you have to do it.
Most of what you brought up goes back to the "C" word....Confidence. You have to know that it will fire, hit and cycle.
Have never had HP issues with my Kimber, cycled just fine with Golden Sabers, SXT, and Hydra Shoks (carry ammo). The 1911 was built for hardball, but you should have no issues after break in.

Good effort on the phone book shoot, interesting.

Last edited by hillbilly68; 12-28-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #7

I have a decided advantage.

My RIA Tactial .45 eats all ammo with no FTF.

the oNLY jam it has ever given me was with home loaded 185 grain loads. Every 230 I put through it performs flawlessly.
(over 10,000 rounds)

I have shot conical hollows but I prefer rounded, as I have now. They were given to me and they say W-W 230 Gr on the bottom of the bullets. I did not get the box with them. I shot three mags full and they were perfect.

Good luck finding a good hollow for your pistol. I agree with you using FMJ until you find a 100% reliable hollow for it.

glenthoughts

My .45 is a part of me, I trust it with my life, and train with it. First one to the giblets wins. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default FYI on my Colt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthoughts View Post
I have a decided advantage.

My RIA Tactial .45 eats all ammo with no FTF.

the oNLY jam it has ever given me was with home loaded 185 grain loads. Every 230 I put through it performs flawlessly.
(over 10,000 rounds)

I have shot conical hollows but I prefer rounded, as I have now. They were given to me and they say W-W 230 Gr on the bottom of the bullets. I did not get the box with them. I shot three mags full and they were perfect.

Good luck finding a good hollow for your pistol. I agree with you using FMJ until you find a 100% reliable hollow for it.
On my Series 80 Govt. Model .45 it feeds everything I load in the mag. I polished the feed ramp with a dermal tool using Jeweler's rouge. DO NOT take any metal off, just polish to a mirror finish. My .45 has not had that many rounds through it-probably less than 3K, but it feeds SWC through it as well as any HP that I've feed through it. Be sure to also use good quality magazines to feed your .45. Mine only gives some problems when I use cheap Govt. surplus magazines. I carry Colt factory, Wilson, and Pachmayr magazines for self defense. Hope this helps. Bill.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #9

Thanks Billy, yea that certainly helps, the only magazines I have used for it is mags from Kimber. The mag I ordered was surprisingly stiff, so I've been using it trying to get it to loosen up. But thanks for the directions.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSBulldog06 View Post
Thanks Billy, yea that certainly helps, the only magazines I have used for it is mags from Kimber. The mag I ordered was surprisingly stiff, so I've been using it trying to get it to loosen up. But thanks for the directions.
My mags are Novaks 8 rounders, and one gov. no name 7 rounder.

When you find the mag that works for your gun, stick with it...

glenthoughts