Pf9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Pf9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Pf9

Finally took the Kel-Tec PF9 that I got from my brother to the range last week. Horrible experience. The first two shots, the magazine release engaged, preventing the cycling of the next round. This was very annoying. The gun is very little to begin with, so I have to completely alter the way that I held the gun. It was a very snappy gun to begin with, but after I altered the position of my hands to compensate for the mag release I lost a lot of control of the gun. This made it snap a lot worse, and effected my accuracy. I dont know what happened psychologically, but after a couple of magazines I realized I was jerking the trigger simply to shoot quickly. After that I began to methodically pull the trigger very slowly. This is when something weird happened. After I began pulling the trigger back half way my entire left arm (I shoot left handed) started to shake. I could not stop it the rest of the time unless I hurried my shots. Further into the shooting, at about 60 rounds the assembly pin broke.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well, send that puppy back for repairs then get rid of her.

I've had some experiences with the P-11. It has a long hard trigger pull, horrible accuracy, and so-so reliability. Not exactly what I would want in a carry or range gun.

Some people are tickeled pink with theirs.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Well, send that puppy back for repairs then get rid of her.

I've had some experiences with the P-11. It has a long hard trigger pull, horrible accuracy, and so-so reliability. Not exactly what I would want in a carry or range gun.

Some people are tickeled pink with theirs.
Right now I work at night and sleep during the day. I keep forgetting to call Kel-Tec of the problem. Do I need to send in the gun just for a pin? Im not sure how old the gun is, plus I think the pin is only $11. Maybe I can get something for it in a trade. It cost me $225, not sure what I could get for it.

I dont think I'll ever get a Kel-Tec again for PD. But I am still thinking of getting the PMR-30 .22 Mag for plinking. I havent had 30 rounds in a magazine ince Iraq. For a BUG in the future I think I might go with one of the micro 1911s. From what everyone says here, I dont think I could go wrong with the LCR.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Last edited by michigan0626; 05-18-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

LCR, definite. Now in .357Magnum.

lcr357.jpg  

Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Right now I work at night and sleep during the day. I keep forgetting to call Kel-Tec of the problem. Do I need to send in the gun just for a pin? Im not sure how old the gun is, plus I think the pin is only $11. Maybe I can get something for it in a trade. It cost me $225, not sure what I could get for it.

I dont think I'll ever get a Kel-Tec again for PD. But I am still thinking of getting the PMR-30 .22 Mag for plinking. I havent had 30 rounds in a magazine ince Iraq. For a BUG in the future I think I might go with one of the micro 1911s. From what everyone says here, I dont think I could go wrong with the LCR.
I have athe LCR and it's a great carry gun. It's not so great for all day plinking.

I wook nights too, so I know how you feel, it sucks bigtime. I would call keltec on your off day and see what they say. I have read really good things about their customer service. I would not try to sell it or trade it as-is because you won't get squat.

As far as plinking with alot of rounds, have a look at the ruger charger. You can get 30rounders for it too, but it's long rifle. 22 mags cost an arm and a leg around here.

I carry a kimber 4" and LCR bug.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
LCR, definite. Now in .357Magnum.
HELL YEAH!

First HELL YEAH thats bad ass! Then it becomes HELL YEAH that thing hurts!

I thought the PF9 was snappy. That would be something I would shoot a full cylinder just to make sure its functional ONCE a year, and only use it when it is necessary to incure a sprained wrist injury.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

LCR epitomizes the term "Point-and-click interface".

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The Lovely Mrs had that same experience when she fired the PF9 i got for her. She hated it, won't touch it again. I've shot it about 100 times and not had a lick of trouble. It's the gun I carry more often than not.