Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Opening a range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Figure out how many exhaust fans you will need and then add two more

Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Reaper, I've been thinking of doing a gunshop/indoor range near where I live, (in several years of course) it seems to be a wide market for it where I am. I've asked around and many say reactive targets would be the best things to have. Punching paper is fun and all but steel shooting has its advantages as well. While they are expensive targets for a first time buy for a range they do pay for themselves in time because of the fun factor.
Be sure to talk with law enforcement about it, see what they have to say about it, you ever know, you may make some friends and contacts that can help you with the legal and endorsement for your endeavor.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Last edited by Ruzai; 04-18-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapertoreese08 View Post
thanks for the ideas, have any of you ever heard of cardboard box targets that have a balloon inside of them. the target is mounted on some kind of rail and bobs and weaves as it approaches the shooter, the shooter doesnt know where the balloon is and needs to shoot it in order to defeat the target. ive only seen it once but i cant remember where and i also can find a vid or anything about it, but it would be an awsome simulator to have.
I saw an episode of "The Best Defense" where the host detailed how to build those and showed them in use at the range. In this case, though, the balloon was in a predictable location because it was designed to replicate the heart/lung area. They also did a version with just a string or piece of cord holding the target up. The cord ran the length of the target (torso size) and represented the spinal column. Both targets would fall once the balloon/cord had been hit, the idea being that these would/could be "stopping" hits.

The targets were shaped like human torsos with the same approximate height, width and thickness. One of the advantages here was that the target might present itself at an angle rather than straight on. Not only did that make a smaller target, it also changed the relative location of the vital spots.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7654 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

At our local range they have plenty of sandbags to go around (and then some) free of charge, they use old shot bags full of sand and sewn shut and they keep them in big Rubbermaid bins behind the benches. The shooting benches on the rifle range are concrete and I am told they are bench-rest competition spec (I don't know any more than I am told that) but are far superior to wooden. There is also space between benches for prone, sitting etc. shooting.

Selling ammo, targets, glasses, ear protection, etc. at competitive (or even cheaper if you can) prices will generate a LOT of sales. Don't gouge your customers. Bad for business. If people can drive directly to the range without having to stop at Wally World or the local gun shop to get supplies you will benefit from that.

Above all, safety first, but do NOT allow any of your range safety officers to treat your customers badly. No lording over the customers. I have been to ranges where the safety officers will scream and yell at you if you make a minor mistake (like forgetting to open the action on a gun in the rack) when a simple and polite "would you please open the action on this firearm?" would do. Yelling at and belittling people just pisses them off. Bad form. There are times at a gun range where the range safety officers must be very firm, or even if a shooter is being told he must leave, but it can be done respectful0ly and politely. There are exceptions of course, but as a general rule be respectful and polite.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on the polite attitude on both employees and range officers.
If its an indoor range, look at getting good backstops that can withstand heavy magnum rounds. Because you know there is always going to be those people with the biggest gun they can buy.
I know some indoor ranges have to test the ammo you are going to shoot with a magnet because the cheaper rounds with steel in them tends to ruin the backstops after a while.
My first indoor range visit in Fayettevile, Arkansas a few years ago was no where near as enjoyable as it could be because the guy that owned it was a real ass-wipe to me and my family. At the time I wasnt aware of why he had to test my ammo with a magnet and he got offended at me asking and got real rude when I had to ask any other questions about procedure. He said the ammo I was using could be "armor piercing" or something if its magnetic but it was simple TulaAmmo 45acps from Wally World.
My point here is to have clear and concise rules, instructions, and procedures posted in plain view in several places. This will reduce the amount of times you have explain things to people and have something to fall back on when/if someone doesnt follow them and you have to ask them to leave.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.