Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Opening a range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Opening a range

My friend and I are planning on opening a range in South Dakota, thinking its going to be an indoor and outdoor range. Any suggestions as to favorite features of a range?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Reaper, head on over to the introductions section and tell us something about yourself, it's a common courtesy here as well as many other forums.
Good to have new members.

I'm in KS, so I don't know anything about SD laws, someone will chime in who has some experience, I'm sure. This place is loaded with knowledgeable people.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hi, two things I really love about the range I go to is the to and fro targets (you know set up on a pullie and what not) and the pop shooting gallerie with all the steel targets they have pistol and rifle targets.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapertoreese08 View Post
My friend and I are planning on opening a range in South Dakota, thinking its going to be an indoor and outdoor range. Any suggestions as to favorite features of a range?
Indoor range? Never seen this outside of a bowling alley, but having those cool air hand dryers on each lane would be nice Also, low light lanes and timers would be interesting.

Outdoor range? A wind speed/direction indicator, elevated stands to practice shooting downwards, sandbag and mat rental...

Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

Liked 890 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
Outdoor range? A wind speed/direction indicator, elevated stands to practice shooting downwards, sandbag and mat rental...

What he said ...and a 500 to 1000 yard range if you have the land, and a gun & run AR course.

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Old 04-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you have the room, an A.C.T.S. course. Moving and shooting is F U N

Sample Stage

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

A free to use Chrono.

I've always wanted to do a gun and run! Gonna try my hand at USPSA in a couple months when I get my new gun tuned in.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #8

thanks for the ideas, have any of you ever heard of cardboard box targets that have a balloon inside of them. the target is mounted on some kind of rail and bobs and weaves as it approaches the shooter, the shooter doesnt know where the balloon is and needs to shoot it in order to defeat the target. ive only seen it once but i cant remember where and i also can find a vid or anything about it, but it would be an awsome simulator to have.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I would look to the NRA, not only for range plans but insurance. Best of luck!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One feature that is always good is firearm rentals, for those new to shooting and for others to try before you buy.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson