Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Opening a range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/opening-range-41101/)

reapertoreese08 04-11-2011 03:19 AM

Opening a range

My friend and I are planning on opening a range in South Dakota, thinking its going to be an indoor and outdoor range. Any suggestions as to favorite features of a range?

fireguy 04-11-2011 03:27 AM

Reaper, head on over to the introductions section and tell us something about yourself, it's a common courtesy here as well as many other forums.
Good to have new members.

I'm in KS, so I don't know anything about SD laws, someone will chime in who has some experience, I'm sure. This place is loaded with knowledgeable people.

wmille01 04-11-2011 03:50 AM

hi, two things I really love about the range I go to is the to and fro targets (you know set up on a pullie and what not) and the pop shooting gallerie with all the steel targets they have pistol and rifle targets.

BlindOldMan 04-11-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reapertoreese08 (Post 483925)
My friend and I are planning on opening a range in South Dakota, thinking its going to be an indoor and outdoor range. Any suggestions as to favorite features of a range?

Indoor range? Never seen this outside of a bowling alley, but having those cool air hand dryers on each lane would be nice :D Also, low light lanes and timers would be interesting.

Outdoor range? A wind speed/direction indicator, elevated stands to practice shooting downwards, sandbag and mat rental...

7point62 04-11-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindOldMan (Post 484077)
Outdoor range? A wind speed/direction indicator, elevated stands to practice shooting downwards, sandbag and mat rental...

What he said :D...and a 500 to 1000 yard range if you have the land, and a gun & run AR course.

Car54 04-11-2011 02:22 PM

If you have the room, an A.C.T.S. course. Moving and shooting is F U N

Sample Stage

Jesse17 04-11-2011 02:45 PM

A free to use Chrono. :D

I've always wanted to do a gun and run! Gonna try my hand at USPSA in a couple months when I get my new gun tuned in.:)

reapertoreese08 04-12-2011 05:06 AM

thanks for the ideas, have any of you ever heard of cardboard box targets that have a balloon inside of them. the target is mounted on some kind of rail and bobs and weaves as it approaches the shooter, the shooter doesnt know where the balloon is and needs to shoot it in order to defeat the target. ive only seen it once but i cant remember where and i also can find a vid or anything about it, but it would be an awsome simulator to have.

headhunter 04-17-2011 03:21 PM

I would look to the NRA, not only for range plans but insurance. Best of luck!

pandamonium 04-17-2011 04:01 PM

One feature that is always good is firearm rentals, for those new to shooting and for others to try before you buy.