Old Propane Bottle and Bullet Holes - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Old Propane Bottle and Bullet Holes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

We have the ultimate propane bottles that pass by about 100 yards away, railroad tankers. Don't think I haven't thought about if one of those derailed or leaked a long path of propane? I've seen pictures of a natural gas line that leaked and exploded east of Denver many years ago, it blew a huge deep ditch. I have heard that propane has been used for fuel/air bombs and that they are extremely powerful so when I fiddle around with things that can explode I really consider any unintended consequiences of my actions, not that some might be interesting to see.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
First of all this bottle sat around through two winters with the valve off so there was no propane residue. Shots fired were from 60 feet, the holes are from my 7 1/2" 44 mag Redhawk using hand loads that have 245 gr. Keith style hard cast lead bullets, CCI 350 primers and 19.5 gr. of Accuracy Arms #9 powder (very fast for lead but does not strip going through the barrel). As you can see I marked the 9mm and 40 S&W bullet dents, the 40 S&W dents were far deeper than the 9mm. I don't remember how many grains the 9mm was but the 40 cal was 180 gr. TC FMJ. If the Redhawk wasn't such a monster to hide on my skinny frame I'd haul it around for my ccw because in the about 30 years that I've owned it it's been a point and shoot for me, a couple of times I've taken deer that I'm sure I really didn't aim at with the sites.
I used to have some Belgian NATO SMG 9mm +P (maybe even +p+), I think they were AP rounds. When fired at propane tanks from inside 25 yards, they would easily penetrate. Inside 10 yards, you could see the dents on the back side, where the rounds almost came through. Should have kept some of those, but it was too much fun seeing what they could do at the time One thing though, they would definitely test your guns frame. I had no issues firing them through my CZ75, but a few other 9mm's had some problems, some of the catastrophic variety - frames cracked

Slo

Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #13

Fill a basket ball with acetylene and oxygen from a cutting torch and shoot it with a tracer. Just don’t get too close to it when you do!

Tom

Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #14

Default Exploding Targets

Ya'll want to blow something up ?? Do a search on Exploding Targets... Not too expensive and can be bought and shipped to your door. you'll find them on Gunbroker or Auctionarms most times. I saw a show that highlighted them one time: Deconstruction Nation (or some mess like that). Got to use high power rifle to set them off but they are diffinatelly impressive ..

GCA Member and NRA Life Member

Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
Ya'll want to blow something up ?? Do a search on Exploding Targets... Not too expensive and can be bought and shipped to your door. you'll find them on Gunbroker or Auctionarms most times. I saw a show that highlighted them one time: Deconstruction Nation (or some mess like that). Got to use high power rifle to set them off but they are diffinatelly impressive ..
see: TANNERITE - and the best part is...it's legal

Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
see: TANNERITE - and the best part is...it's legal

LOL YOU BET!! Whoever thought up that stuff deserves a medal. My only problem would be finding a place that I can shoot it at. Depending which ones you get, it makes a pretty big bang.. Course, even the small ones make a lot of noise.

Fun Stuff

GCA Member and NRA Life Member

Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is your rowland finally done??? Mine is

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #18

Default 44

That's very interesting. I have a 9mm, a 40 cal, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 with a 7 1/2 ". I'm with you, if the 44 wasn't so big, it'd be great to carry, so I just carry the 1911.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #19

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemanbb View Post
That's very interesting. I have a 9mm, a 40 cal, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 with a 7 1/2 ". I'm with you, if the 44 wasn't so big, it'd be great to carry, so I just carry the 1911.
Back in the late 1970's I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 with a 7 1/2" barrel which I carried in a Bianchi X-15, that was the most comfortable shoulder holster I've owned and with a medium weight jacket on it was pretty well hidden. A Redhawk is a bit more chunky than a Super Blackhawk making it hard to conceil even with a heavier jacket, my problem is that I'm just too skinny to carry big firearms ccw.