Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Old Propane Bottle and Bullet Holes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/old-propane-bottle-bullet-holes-20151/)

Viking 11-17-2009 01:40 AM

Old Propane Bottle and Bullet Holes

3 Attachment(s)
First of all this bottle sat around through two winters with the valve off so there was no propane residue. Shots fired were from 60 feet, the holes are from my 7 1/2" 44 mag Redhawk using hand loads that have 245 gr. Keith style hard cast lead bullets, CCI 350 primers and 19.5 gr. of Accuracy Arms #9 powder (very fast for lead but does not strip going through the barrel). As you can see I marked the 9mm and 40 S&W bullet dents, the 40 S&W dents were far deeper than the 9mm. I don't remember how many grains the 9mm was but the 40 cal was 180 gr. TC FMJ. If the Redhawk wasn't such a monster to hide on my skinny frame I'd haul it around for my ccw because in the about 30 years that I've owned it it's been a point and shoot for me, a couple of times I've taken deer that I'm sure I really didn't aim at with the sites.

Gojubrian 11-17-2009 03:21 AM

Shoot a full one next time!! :D

spittinfire 11-17-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 187067)
Shoot a full one next time!! :D

That's what I was thinking!! Think it would wake the neighbors?

NGIB 11-17-2009 12:26 PM

Actually, Mythbusters did a whole show on this. They tried to set off a full bottle with a range of guns without much luck. IIRC, it took a .308 tracer round to actually cause one to blow up.

They were debunking the James Bond film where he sets one off with his P99 9mm - didn't even penetrate the tank...

995 11-17-2009 12:26 PM

Hell that might wake the dead. (LOL)

spittinfire 11-17-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 187160)
Actually, Mythbusters did a whole show on this. They tried to set off a full bottle with a range of guns without much luck. IIRC, it took a .308 tracer round to actually cause one to blow up.

They were debunking the James Bond film where he sets one off with his P99 9mm - didn't even penetrate the tank...

Now that you mention it, I think I might have seen that one. I liked the chicken cannon and when they shot bullets into water.

KingTiger 11-17-2009 06:33 PM

Many years ago, we would shoot the small propane cylinders for torches with our SKS's. We would start a small fire behind the cylinder first. Even with an empty one, the fire ball was quite large, but there was no metal shrapnel.

Bigguns911 11-17-2009 06:42 PM

A friend told me he shot a empty large propane cylinder with a candle burning next to it. It was a hell of a fire ball but not much booom. He also shot 1 gallon milk jugs with gas in them with the fire next to them he said then was very cool. they were back a min of 60 yard in a open plowed field with no wind and no neighbors with in a few miles. I told him I want to go next time.

jbshoots 11-17-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 187160)

those guys have the best job in the world.

canebrake 11-17-2009 08:06 PM

No 45 ACP??

You should find someone with a 460 Rowland and compare with the 44 mag!

Bring it down here to Ft. Lauderdale and let me take a couple shots!