Off to the range........ - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Off to the range........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8987

I am familiar with the 'beaver tail' safety. I shot a Springfield Armory 1911 that had that grip/safety. I know the LCP doesn't have a safety at all. The P238 does have a safety 'switch'.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Depends on your intended use there winds. If its for fun at the range the safety features dont matter much if at all.

For conceal carry i personally wouldnt carry a single action that small. The controls are tiny which makes operating them under stress difficult at best. What seems easy and fluid under range conditions becomes very difficult and almost impossible under the influence of life or death adrenaline rush.

For self defense the 380 is a very poor choice for a new shooter. It requires a high degree of accuracy to land repeated centermass hits and if you use hollowpoints they often lack the oomph to get deep enough to do damage.

Unlike targets at the range a goblin isnt going to be standing there arms down waiting for a well aimed shot. Its arms will be up in front holding a weapon or outreaching for you so not only does the 380 have to go through a breast bone or ribs but also arm muscle and bones before it gets to the chest area. The 380 just fails at doing that well. So with the need for multiple shots on target quickly a low capacity pocket gun in a small caliber just isnt a good choice.

That being said 380acp is one of my favorite rounds as its super fun to shoot. Ive got two my wife has one.

You have one of the best defensive chamberings ever devised in the gp100 and you dont look funny carrying a purse.

As to the gun itself the sig p238 had teething issues when it first came out so avoid older used guns as its hard to tell if its one of the early models or not. The newer ones had their issues fixed and work just fine. The p238 is pretty much a clone of the excellent colt mustang.

I dont temember if i let you try my bersa thunder plus. Holds 15+1 but its not as pretty as the sig. Another interesting 380 is the walther pk380 the only reason the bersa came home instead of that is the mag release isnt very intuitive for me.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

My P238 has not had any malfunctions and I have run several different brands and types through it. I have seen of claims for not enough penetration, and I believe you have to select your rounds carefully. A lot people use flat nose fmj ammo. It is a good choice however some pistols wont handle it and it can over penetrate. The big cavity hp ammo is I believe a poor choice with too rapid expansion and not enough weight to carry it. The Hornady critical defense penetrates clothing and seems to penetrate better than most in their tests. I like the Fiochi ammo with their own hp not the Extrema with the xtp. The Fiochi Shooting Dynamics hp has a much smaller opening and more limited expansion. Costs less too at $20 for 50. The Europeans have a lot more experience with the 380 than the USA as it was their primary police and military round for a long time so I look at what they are loading. The US mfg have mostly scaled down their heavier loads to fit the 380 and I think it needs its own bullet design to be more effective. My opinions. Right now mine is loaded with Fiochi and the spare is loaded with Win flat nose fmj. Some alternate rounds in the same mag.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Last edited by JTJ; 03-07-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You have one of the best defensive chamberings ever devised in the gp100 and you dont look funny carrying a purse.
I know the GP100 is an excellent defensive gun. But it's HUGE being a 6" barrel. And I rarely carry a purse but usually just have a small wallet type thing with the bare essentials in it.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Get something that weighs 16 oz or less loaded and get a flashbang holster. Lots of 38 revolvers in that class and the P238. Holster purse you could go heavier. Up to 30 oz gives you some nice choices. Ruger Sp101, Sr9c. S&W 37, Lady Smith, M&P 9mm compact. The autos would give you 11 rounds of 9mm and the SR9c has a thumb safety.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I'm off the the gun shop again today. I'm not bringing any guns with me. I'm going to be shopping!!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Have fun!!!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #28

Liked 1029 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 677

So, JonM, what would you recommend for CC, then? I'm a 140 LB, 5'9" guy. I don't think I could conceal a much larger gun.