No steel case ammo at ranges - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

No steel case ammo at ranges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

Stupid lazy people abound in this country.
Don't want to go through separating brass from steel? I have a secret for you, brass is not magnetic, steel is.
If you need directions on how to take advantage of this information, bring your guns to the police station and turn them in.
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #12

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It is a shame. Owners of firing ranges are taking advantage in areas that are mostly Urban. Sporting goods stores and Gun Show vendors are robbing American owners by created ammo shortages. Elected public officials and Liberal governments blame gun owners for every crime committed. The President offers Gay marriage and no punishment for street drugs while disarming the civilian population. Has anyone ever read the history of the Jewish people in Pre-War Germany?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Yeah, the flunkies hanging around the range with nothing to do could just as easily separate steel case from brass in their spare time even with one thumb up their butt or on a cell phone. Mountainman13's idea could have it completed In about 3 seconds with one of those 200-lb handheld magnets from Harbor Freight, but that may be a little too intelligent and easy.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #14

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Yeah, the flunkies hanging around the range with nothing to do could just as easily separate steel case from brass in their spare time even with one thumb up their butt or on a cell phone. Mountainman13's idea could have it completed In about 3 seconds with one of those 200-lb handheld magnets from Harbor Freight, but that may be a little too intelligent and easy.
Of course those flunkies would say they couldn't lift a 200 lb magnet. (sarcasm intended)
People Like This 
Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3575 Times on 1837 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Laziness and greed. A local indoor range makes more money selling brass than it does on range fees. I refuse to go there with any self loading pistols (only revolvers) and I use a brass catcher on my rifles, even .22 LR. Screw them. I will sell the scrap brass. It is MINE!
People Like This 
Old 08-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 87 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
yup its pretty tough on paper targets
Yes it is! It's also major wear & tear on new generation traps, with a --very slight-- chance of fire.

It's their range, they get to make the rules. If you don't like their rules (as mentioned), don't go there. Only place in town? Then you're SOL.

I've never heard of any indoor range that prohibits brass catchers, and everybody I know that reloads collects or catches their brass.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #17

Liked 160 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The two indoor ranges we have visited said it was because the steel core bullet hits the backstop and sparks, causing a greater risk of fire. He let us shoot one more to demonstrate and compared to the regular non-brass round, it was a significant difference! The outdoor shooting areas on BLM land near here have signs about safe shooting, and recently added to please not shoot steel case during fire season for the same reason. We are in AZ and it is VERY dry (duh) so perhaps more sensitive than say the mid-west.

Perhaps it is BS, perhaps it is laziness, perhaps some of all the above, but the bottom line is their range, their rules. Don't like it. can't shoot there....

Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I find it hard to believe that all this Wolf steel-cased ammo I have bought has the steel cores in the bullets, very difficult to believe.

Again, i am reminded how good it is to have friends and family with land to shoot on.

Bimetal vs. steel core

http://uspsa.org/front-sight-magazine-article.php?Should-I-Buy-BiMetal-Ammo-8
Reliable source?

Last edited by orangello; 08-17-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #19

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
steel cases ammo almost always has steel bullets also. they may not want steel bullets used on their targets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
yup its pretty tough on paper targets
No one cares about the target. Our local range had thousands of dollars damage done to the backstop from steel bullets. They check everyone's ammo with a magnet these days. They don't really care too much about the cases, but if the projectiles are magnetic, you can't shoot it there.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #20

Liked 160 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
No one cares about the target. Our local range had thousands of dollars damage done to the backstop from steel bullets. They check everyone's ammo with a magnet these days. They don't really care too much about the cases, but if the projectiles are magnetic, you can't shoot it there.
x2. The steel cased is OK but if it is steel core you are outta luck. And most Wolf, Tula, etc. is steel core, very easy to check your ammo or any you are thinking of buying. Simply take a small magnet and hold it to the tip of the bullet. If it sticks, you are looking at a steel core round.

The good news department is the steel core will penetrate more (another reason ranges don't allow it) so it'd be good for stopping a car, right through the engine block.