Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Nikon M-223 1-4X20mm test.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Nikon M-223 1-4X20mm test.

Today I went out in the morning to put a few rounds through my AR and sight in my new Nikon M-223 1-4X20mm scope mounted on a Nikon M-223 specific mount. I took out some different loads: PMC M193, PMC Bronze 55gr. FMJ-BT, Wolf 55gr. FMJ-HP and Winchester Ballistic Silvertip .55gr. Varmint. My range is my back yard, so I had a hard time finding a good stable base to shoot from. I ended up settling on a saw table with a few blocks of wood and a bean bag shooting rest stacked on top. I justified this for two reasons. First, I think this will give me more of a real world accuracy test. I’m not likely to have a shooting bench or nice flat ground to shoot from in the field, so why train that way? Secondly, this isn’t really an accuracy test anyway. The rifle is a DPMS A-15, and for the most part Mil-Spec. I can’t expect it to shoot MOA, it’s supposed to shoot MO-Zombie, and it does so very well. Another reason that it’s not an accuracy test, is because of the scopes reticle. It’s Nikon’s “Point Blank Reticle.” It’s got 3 MOA cross hairs that neck down to about ¼ MOA right before they intersect with a large 3 MOA dot in the center. It’s designed for quick acquisition, and it works. It’s not so hot when you’re trying to shoot for groups.

I started by sighting it in using 3 shot groups of Wolf at 25 yards. During the zeroing I fired a round every other breath, if that gives you any idea of the pace. I then moved the target out to 100 yards, where I fired two more 3 shot groups. The groups were about 7 inches high. I went back to the gun, and dialed the scope down 28 clicks(¼ MOA adjustments). I shot another 3 rounds- and really screwed up the last shot. The other two were touching the bull though, so I was happy. Again, this reticle is really difficult to shoot for pin point accuracy at this range. The dot in the center of the reticle is 3 times the size of the bull on the target. I now started shooting every breath, to see how the rifle/scope combo would print at a real world pace. As you can see in the pictures, it’s not going to win a competition, but I see them as shots having a positive effect on a threat, or maybe even a white tail. My rifle seemed not to like the PMC M193, and really didn’t seem to like the Winchester. I’ll end up doing some more shooting with this ammo later and from a better rest to see if it’s just me. By the time I got to those loads, my rifle was pretty warm, and that could have had an effect as well. To show the speed of the scope, I fired 7 rounds of the PMC M193 at a rubber spin target at 75 yards in less than 3 seconds. All were hits. This type of shooting is what this scope is made for.

I use my AR for mostly competition and training, and I’m anxious to start running some tactical drills with this scope on the 1X setting. The front sight is obtrusive, but I don’t think it’ll be a problem. I also hunt some with my AR, and before I had just used my Aimpoint. Now I’ve got a bit of magnification to play with, and I think the medium distance shots will be much easier now.

25 yard target:

100 yard target. Notice the 6 shot group above.

Wolf at 100 yards, quick pace:

PMC M193 at 100 yards, quick pace:

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #2

PMC Bronze at 100 yards, quick pace:

Winchester at 100 yards, quick pace:

Spin target at 75 yards, 7 shots in 3 seconds:

Poor mans bench:

Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #3

Always check your ammo folks:

Nikon M-223 1-4X20mm scope on a M-223 mount:

Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for an excellent report and looking at your avatar, thank you for your service.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #5

You are very welcome for the report and the service. I just got back last week, actually.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent! I was AF, '67 - '71.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #7

Cool deal. My father was for 9 years in the 90's. He was avionics on F-16's.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for your service. I've been very interested in that scope. That's a great looking setup!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An excellant range report!

And as CA357 stated...."Thank You for your Service"

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #10

Thanks, thanks and thanks!