Nighthawk Talon II (9mm) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Nighthawk Talon II (9mm)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #12

That looks like some great shooting. I wish one of the ranges near me had a Nighthawk out for rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
That must be a nice range!
I was thinking the same thing. I think you would be hard pressed to make your money backing renting a pistol that costs that much.

JD, your comment has me wondering. What is the "real" reason for a bobtail that you speak of?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #13

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
That looks like some great shooting. I wish one of the ranges near me had a Nighthawk out for rental.

I was thinking the same thing. I think you would be hard pressed to make your money backing renting a pistol that costs that much.

JD, your comment has me wondering. What is the "real" reason for a bobtail that you speak of?

-Fred

They actually have 2, one in 9mm and another in 45 along with a Wilson Combat 1911. The dealer/store has been around for 90 years and have over 100 guns for rental! The guys working there are pretty cool too, I've bought all 3 of my handguns and my wife handgun there. Very lucky to have a quality shop with a great selection within 45 min of my house!

As for the bobtail comment..... JD and I were standing at the S&W booth at the SHOT show looking at 1911's and this guy comes up and tells me to grab the gun and squeeze it as hard as I can, ok, whatever, no problem, then he says doesn't it dig into your hand, I was like, not so much, well he says that is why they invented the bobtail is to not dig into your hand.....literally, this happens 2 min after JD tells me the reason for the bobtail is so the gun doesn't "print" a much during carry.... LOL

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post

-Fred
Kind of a long story, but here is the short version. Dr. Jason is new to the 1911 realm and joined me at SHOT. We went to a lot of 1911 booths and in the Smith & Wesson booth we were checking fit, finish, trigger and I was explaining some things to him to look for before purchase.

We pulled down one of their bobtailed guns and I was explaining that this had a benefit for CC because it trimmed the pointed end of the handle and helped reduce printing.

About this time the mook from Smith and Wesson walks up and thrusts a full size 1911 in Jason's hand ( we were looking at 4" models ) and tells him "Here. Squeeze this as hard as you can."

So, Jason being a nice guy, begins to try and strangle the gun with one hand.

"You feel how uncomfortable that is?" The guy asks.

"No, not really" Jason says, and continues to try and wring oil out of the grip.

"Well you see if you have big meat hooks like mine, that pointed edge there digs into your hand and makes it uncomfortable to shoot. That's why we offer these here bobtail models".

So, yeah. We thanked him for his time and exited stage right. Even if Jason had been interested in a Smith, once the guy knocked him for hand size and seemed like a jackass, I don't know if it would have been high on his list to shop for later.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #15

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

LOL - that's kind of like the Jeep salesman telling me the steel doors I wanted were a great security feature on a TJ. Really? With a soft top?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
They actually have 2, one in 9mm and another in 45 along with a Wilson Combat 1911. The dealer/store has been around for 90 years and have over 100 guns for rental! The guys working there are pretty cool too, I've bought all 3 of my handguns and my wife handgun there. Very lucky to have a quality shop with a great selection within 45 min of my house!
<--- This guy is jealous. My local range has maybe 20-25 guns for rental. About 1/3 of them are Glocks, there's a few Rugers, and some other misc. No 1911s though, the communists. The only thing they do have that I would be interested in renting is the Vector that they've got. I think that thing would be fun to shoot for a bit.

Quote:
As for the bobtail comment..... JD and I were standing at the S&W booth at the SHOT show looking at 1911's and this guy comes up and tells me to grab the gun and squeeze it as hard as I can, ok, whatever, no problem, then he says doesn't it dig into your hand, I was like, not so much, well he says that is why they invented the bobtail is to not dig into your hand.....literally, this happens 2 min after JD tells me the reason for the bobtail is so the gun doesn't "print" a much during carry.... LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
About this time the mook from Smith and Wesson walks up and thrusts a full size 1911 in Jason's hand ( we were looking at 4" models ) and tells him "Here. Squeeze this as hard as you can."

So, Jason being a nice guy, begins to try and strangle the gun with one hand.

"You feel how uncomfortable that is?" The guy asks.

"No, not really" Jason says, and continues to try and wring oil out of the grip.

"Well you see if you have big meat hooks like mine, that pointed edge there digs into your hand and makes it uncomfortable to shoot. That's why we offer these here bobtail models".

So, yeah. We thanked him for his time and exited stage right. Even if Jason had been interested in a Smith, once the guy knocked him for hand size and seemed like a jackass, I don't know if it would have been high on his list to shop for later.
At what point in the conversation did y'all laugh in this guy's face? It's kinda scary that these major firearms manufacturers have guys like these representing their company at one of the biggest, if not the biggest firearms expos in the country. I've only been around firearms for about 3 years and I could have told you reason for the Bobtail, yet a guy who is no doubt probably making a pretty good sum of money from Smith has couldn't catch a clue with a butterfly net. I think Smith should pay me next year to take that guys place at SHOT.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Sounds like one heck of a gun shop. The only range/shop by my house is ran by a bunch of jerks and everything is priced for its weight in gold.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #18

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
They actually have 2, one in 9mm and another in 45 along with a Wilson Combat 1911. The dealer/store has been around for 90 years and have over 100 guns for rental! The guys working there are pretty cool too, I've bought all 3 of my handguns and my wife handgun there. Very lucky to have a quality shop with a great selection within 45 min of my house
and your going to invite your friends for a range day when?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #19

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
and your going to invite your friends for a range day when?
Darren, let me know if you want to make a trip down to the Hartford area, we can hook up to go to the range and grab a beer after.

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"