Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > nice supprise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default nice supprise

Baby girl calls and asks if I want to get my gun dirty...what else can I say but YES. So she brings a friend with her that has never been shooting. The RSO really took a lot of time with her as it was painfully slow yesterday. They were working on a sighting in target with the RSO. The new girl was having a hard time getting past the "Flinch". Does anyone have any tricks or tips other than dry fire practice and range time? This girl has fallen in love with shooting, and this gives my daughter a female shooting buddy other than her mom.

So I decided I would work on my weak hand reloading. I am sure everyone has heard of slide bite, well I got a taste of mag bite. I got my finger caught under the lip of a mew mag and on the reload. I felt more than a little embarrassed digging a band-aide out of the range bag. The RSO came over to see what I had done, waiting to laugh until he realized I was fine. My daughter and her friend hazed me the rest of the afternoon for my mag bite, I told them, that is why we must practice. I will be adding weak hand reloading practice more often.

All in all any day that you can spend time at the range with someone you love is a very good day.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1819 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Wear gloves and let the new girl shoot a 22. Mag bite can be a real problem on the extended mags with spacers. The short grip puts your hand in line to get pinched by the spacer.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Have you got any snap caps? I haven't tried it, but some people will sneak one in the mag randomly to check their flinch level.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross View Post
Baby girl calls and asks if I want to get my gun dirty...what else can I say but YES. So she brings a friend with her that has never been shooting. The RSO really took a lot of time with her as it was painfully slow yesterday. They were working on a sighting in target with the RSO. The new girl was having a hard time getting past the "Flinch". Does anyone have any tricks or tips other than dry fire practice and range time? This girl has fallen in love with shooting, and this gives my daughter a female shooting buddy other than her mom.

So I decided I would work on my weak hand reloading. I am sure everyone has heard of slide bite, well I got a taste of mag bite. I got my finger caught under the lip of a mew mag and on the reload. I felt more than a little embarrassed digging a band-aide out of the range bag. The RSO came over to see what I had done, waiting to laugh until he realized I was fine. My daughter and her friend hazed me the rest of the afternoon for my mag bite, I told them, that is why we must practice. I will be adding weak hand reloading practice more often.

All in all any day that you can spend time at the range with someone you love is a very good day.
Stop letting the girl shoot the 500 S&W Magnum.

Kidding aside what gun were you using? I start newbies with a SA Ruger 22 revolver. Once they get use to that then move up to the 500 S & W magnum.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

She wanted to shoot the S&W 500...LOL

No I started her off with a M&P9 and she managed recoil fairly well, we are looking for a .22 for her to start shooting, my Bobcat is just too small for her to start with. The flinch seemed to come and go but was always there. She came over this weekend and we looked at several different guns and she likes the feel of the M&P the best. I told her if we can find her a nice .22 for her to practice with that I would buy it from her when she is ready to move up in caliber, a plinker for me.

As for the mag bite, I got it when I tapped the mag in, all of my mags were empty, I loaded 1 round in each mag and started shooting the 1 round and changing mags. I just got my little finger where it should not have been, trying to find out which way to hold the mag to insert it into the well but I have a hard time doing anything left handed.

JTJ, I had thought about gloves but decided against it because I try to train for what I expect, and I never wear gloves outside of work. Next time I will watch what I am doing more and not try for speed.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478436

Quote:
F/s dan wesson 722 6" barrel nc

Dan wesson 722- shots 22lr stainless with slotted shroud and pachmayer gripper grip,adjustable rear sights, in great shape 550.00 plus shipping
Looks cool, probably almost "rare", looks like a low recoil trainer that could be cool enough to keep.

Sellers name over there is waltfraz. I don't know him myself.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

The way I got over the flinch and all that jazz (except blinking) was practicing fallow through I've gotten to the point where I'm focused so much on my fallow through and sight picture that I don't think about anything but what I'm doing, I know the gun will do it's job and I know it's going to recoil but I just don't focus on it anymore.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED