Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   New target stand (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/new-target-stand-66579/)

kymike 06-17-2012 10:22 PM

New target stand

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 49154

Made out of 3/4 & 1 1/4 schedule 40.

willfully armed 06-17-2012 10:24 PM

Is the car your backstop?

Vincine 06-17-2012 10:34 PM

Nice job. Did you glue it or pin it together so you could take it down? If the wind catches the target and takes the stand sailing, you could fill the base with sand or secure it to the ground with tent stakes.Which you could store inside the stand. If the T joints are more 'flexible' than you would like, I found filling PVC construction joints with expanding foam insulation stiffens them pretty well and doesn't add much weight.

kymike 06-17-2012 10:43 PM

I filled the base with sand. I glued the joints except for the one at the bottom of the upright piece. I can take the base apart from the top and able to lay it down that way. I like the idea about the expanding foam.

Vincine 06-17-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kymike (Post 839503)
. . . I like the idea about the expanding foam.

You should drill a few holes in it to fill it & to let the air and excess foam escape.

kymike 06-17-2012 10:55 PM

I built this because the range I go to is only set up for 100 yd and I'm trying to zero in some new ammo and very difficult to do. I'm going to set this at 25 yds and go from there.

Sniper03 06-17-2012 10:58 PM

Vincine,
You raised a good point! In fact KY could fill the bottom square section of the stand with sand! That would be great! Nice Stand KY. Also Willfully! I cracked up at your comment about the car for the back stop! And I am sure KY got a kick out of that also! That was GREAT!
Anyway KY great job on the stand! What are you going to attach the targets to it with. I thought about screwing some of those big Office Clamps on it on the top rail and the lower rail?

kymike 06-17-2012 11:14 PM

Just looked at the pic again. Didn't even notice the car. Lol. I think those people would be upset to come out and find their car full of holes. I did fill the bottom with sand. I was thinking about doing a piece of cardboard zip tied to the side posts then put my target on the cardboard. I'm open to ideas on this though.

Marlinman 06-17-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kymike
Just looked at the pic again. Didn't even notice the car. Lol. I think those people would be upset to come out and find their car full of holes. I did fill the bottom with sand. I was thinking about doing a piece of cardboard zip tied to the side posts then put my target on the cardboard. I'm open to ideas on this though.

The clamps idea is good. You can also screw a piece of plywood to it front and back or just one side. You can wrap it in tar paper the using small screws tighten the paper to the frame.

Sniper03 06-17-2012 11:45 PM

KY,

Another great thing is that if you are going to shoot rifle ammunition through it. You can get some of that plastic type sign material that looks like corrugated card board box configuration around 1/4 or 5/8 in thick. Some For Sale Signs are made form it. When you shoot it with the 5.56 for example out of your AR or high powered rifle the spin and heat of the bullet going through the material will cause it to sere the hole and close it back up after the bullet passes due to the high heat generated by the bullet going through! You can literaly shoot hundreds of rounds through a sheet before it needs replaced. Of course large pistol bullets and slugs for example tend to punch larger holes that do not sere the holes shut. You could certainly quick tie the sheets onto the stand and it would last a long time. Then you simply take normal thumb or push pin tacks to attach the targets to the plastic sheet material! :D