New Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > New Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt

Took it out tooling in the desert this morning. Definitely a change from the Blackhawks I'm used to, but I was still impressed. Only 2 beefs with this gun:

1) The grips. Those things just slice into your hand. The thicker grips on the Blackhawks allow the recoil to roll it back, whereas the Vaq tends to just shred strait back into your palm. Must get new grips.
2) The sight is funky. Of course, I'm not used to the fixed front sight and lack of a rear one. Maybe a few more times out will help hone it in, and if needs be I can look into machining.

For performance, it was quite nice. Put about 100 rounds through it, mostly reloads. The 7.5 inch barrel really pulls out an extra few yards without losing too much of your accuracy. Our targets were about 30 yards out, and it didn't disappoint.

Me (being the photographer), I can't rightly shoot and take pictures. But my Dad was happy to oblige an action shot. He's an old style .45 Colt man himself, and he digs it.

And here is why this isn't a typical range report. My style of shooting generally doesn't leave anything left to show. Most people could post shots of targets. I don't have much left but applesauce.

Once I get my eye issue fixed (long story), I do plan to take it to an area where I can get a better picture of it's capability (one that will include target pics).

Last edited by Jynx; 04-10-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good stuff Jynx. I love Vaquero's. Although the sights aren't comparable to a Blackhawk, I found I could be plenty accurate with them.

Enjoy that rascal.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Nice new pistol, congrats, and nice range report.
Hope you enjoyed your homemade applesauce

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 04-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
But my Dad was happy to oblige an action shot.
I don't blame him. LOL! That's a pretty gun and looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #5

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

If you can hit an apple at 30 yards with a 45 Colt, I think your sights must not be too bad. There are people with adjustable sights that can't do that. You are standing up after all. These pictures you see of bullet holes touching each other are done from some sort of a rest. It sounds like you can hold your own with that gun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Nice new pistol, congrats, and nice range report.
Hope you enjoyed your homemade applesauce
Hey its nice not having to go trudge out to pick up targets. There's a produce for every kind of shooting

Old 04-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Good times! The new model Blackhawks also come with those terrible grips. I had to get a set made for my .44 mag. It's a different gun now, much more enjoyable to shoot. PM me if you want a link to some custom woodworkers.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks Jynx!! What a beautiful area you live in! And a nicce looking Vaquero, too!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #9

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 231

cool...looks like a lot of fun....i was just out in Apache junction visiting my folks by that superstitous mountain....

aren't you shooting a little close to that jumping choya?

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
If you can hit an apple at 30 yards with a 45 Colt, I think your sights must not be too bad. There are people with adjustable sights that can't do that. You are standing up after all. These pictures you see of bullet holes touching each other are done from some sort of a rest. It sounds like you can hold your own with that gun.
+1 on that!