Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Range Report (
-   -   New Rest (

aandabooks 03-25-2011 03:00 AM

New Rest
I decided I wanted a full rest and decided to build it myself. I've spent about 2 months of messing with it in my spare time and today was its maiden voyage. Didn't get any pics of the targets but I snapped on with the Savage Mark II mounted and another of my son with the new BV.

Unfortunately, there are still a couple of tweeks to be made. I also discovered that I am going to need a much more stable table to shoot from. I normally shoot from the tailgate of the truck. Decided to use the Mark II that has been fired before since I wouldn't have to mess with sighting the scope. Wanted to get a feel for how the rest would perform.

Here's one of my son shooting the BV after I had sighted in the scope.

Here's one of my son making quick work of a mag from the S&W M&P 15-22.

He's 10 and hits pretty much whatever he is shooting at up to 50 yards away. So far he's definately a plinker. Soda cans and spinner targets don't stand a chance.

Dillinger 03-25-2011 03:18 AM

Your son looks like a future sharpshooter! I very much support you spending the valuable time to teach your son the responsible gun ownership that my father showed me growing up. :o

*utmost respect*

IGETEVEN 03-25-2011 04:37 AM

Very nice work there on the rest. :cool:

Ever think about mounting small leveling bubbles on each end, and one laterally to compensate for foundation stability?

As for the boy...U. S. Army Sniper School, graduation class of 2020. One Shot One Kill. ;)

M14sRock 03-25-2011 05:01 AM

Mad skills, AND a great dad!

Boyerracing343 03-25-2011 02:46 PM

Nice work. I digg your rest. Thank for sharing the photos. Looks like a fun time.

Neophyte1 03-26-2011 10:46 AM

Follow Up:)
aandabooks: Sir, did you do a ''follow along'' picture build:) with material; and your thoughts.
Very nice work, Follow up when you can and Thanks:)

Jo da Plumbr 03-26-2011 01:05 PM

I'm available for adoption.

Nice looking rest. In fact I think I'd classify that as a gun vise. Well done.
Thanks for the pics.

aandabooks 03-26-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Neophyte1 (Post 473002)
aandabooks: Sir, did you do a ''follow along'' picture build:) with material; and your thoughts.
Very nice work, Follow up when you can and Thanks:)

I didn't do a follow along but I know what is in it and what I would need to do to make more. It is designed to be used with the gun either clamped in place or the platforms are wide enough that with the clamping bolts taken out, they will hold a standard set of shooting bags. Both of the platforms have elevation adjustment and the front has windage adjustment that runs on a 1/4-20 threaded rod. Everything on the rest was made by me with the exception of the 3 sizes of threaded rod that were purchased.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments about my son. He absolutely loves shooting and begs me to go atleast once per week. We are currently going through about 3 bricks of bulk ammo per month plus some CCI at every session. For his 10th b-day, he got a Remington 870 youth 20 gauge and took 3 squirrels, 1 rabbit and a possum this past season.

IXLR8 03-27-2011 02:05 PM

Quite an object of desire...

That is a true work of art. Let us know when you start cranking them out for sale!

Car54 03-27-2011 02:11 PM

2 great jobs. One with your son, and the other is the rest.