New Glock 23 Range today
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

New Glock 23 Range today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New Glock 23 Range today

I am new to Glock and I just received this today from Glock.

First, a couple comments on the gun. I went through the backstraps and decided on the largest one. It felt the best in my mid to large hands. The grips are hard and I was immediately thinking I'll have to wrap them somehow in rubberized something or other, but it's not horrible. The first mag was painful. The trigger guard was getting my right hand middle finger. But the more I shot, without consciously addressing the issue, the more comfortable it became. After about three mags, I wasn't feeling it anymore at all.

The trigger is a bit stiff. I'd really like to improve that someday.

I'm not a good shooter, and my skill level on any particular day is determined by how many holes I can account for, not how close to the middle I am. Today I just used paper plates as targets. When I took my time, here are the results I got:

7 yards:
New Glock 23 Range today - Range Report

10 yards:

15 yards:

On the 15 yard plate, there is one round unaccounted for. Overall, this is a stellar day for me. I certainly would feel very comfortable carrying this every day, as was intended when I bought it.

Any advice on grips would be appreciated. Also, should I break the trigger in at all or just have it looked at now?

Thanks for any tips.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9444 Times on 5105 Posts
Likes Given: 19632

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter
On the 15 yard plate, there is one round unaccounted for.
Wow! Stacking bullets at fifteen yards with a handgun.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #3

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I call bs on the "not a good shot" thing, thats good enough for defense.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
I call bs on the "not a good shot" thing, thats good enough for defense.
It is good enough for self defense, I know. But I've seen guys on here with groupings where you can't count the holes cuz they all blend together. That's where I want to be. But I was good with my results for sure.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #5

Liked 1961 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

My .02...If this is going to be your EDC, don't alter/'upgrade' with the trigger...

You can dry fire the peadoodles out of it, this may help to wear the trigger in a bit while saving on ammo...

GLOCKS aren't exactly known for their crisp, smooth triggers...

Nice shootin', congrats on the new gun...

Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Under stress you can multiply that group times four. That is on a good day. That is why it often takes 15 shots just to scare an attacker.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If you want a gun with a nice smooth trigger it has to have a hammer you can cock. Double action triggers have to perform to many functions to have a nice crisp break. The trigger will break in some but it is always going have a longer pull than a single action. Everything about a gun is a trade off.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
GLOCKS aren't exactly known for their crisp, smooth triggers...
I shot someone else Glock a month or so ago and the trigger was big time smooth. Either he had work done on it or it naturally broke in that way, but in either case, it gives me hope. I'll ask him the next time I see him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Under stress you can multiply that group times four. That is on a good day. That is why it often takes 15 shots just to scare an attacker.
Copy that. I've been talking to my wife and daughter about doing drills and they are for it. Now, instead of concentrating on shooting the bullseye, we're going to be hanginig full size silhouettes and firing from a draw, rapid fire, from 20 feet away, after doing some pushups. Then we'll see how bad we all are!!

Last edited by 12fretter; 11-19-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #9

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Shoot in a few IDPA matches. The courses of fire are designed to force the participant to shoot from cover and on the move. You don't have to try to win. Just try to have fun.

If you have a bad experience at a match do not return to that range. I went through a bad experience. Before I even got through the safety orientation a participant threatened to shoot me. I never said a single word to provoke this guy. I hadn't even introduced myself. Then it went downhill from there. Don't think you can win anyone over. If you see something right away that is not right leave!