Never thought id say this....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Never thought id say this....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

....but man lever guns are fun.

I had a chance to get out with me Henry lever action .22LR for a little today. Was only able to send 100 rounds down range, but was cool.

Not to surprisingly, the sights where off. I was hitting about two inches low and about the same to the right. Didn't do any real formal shooting, was basically a function test more then anything really....that and an excuse to have some fun.

The groups I did manage to shoot where about three inches at 25 yards, much as I hate to admit it.....but for iron sights and off a car door, I don't think it was to bad. The gun also had some nicks on it since I bought it used, so figured instead of doing a thread on that, I'll just add the pictures here as well. Enjoy. Haha

All-in-all, I think it was a pretty good buy. Just not real sure if I want to redo the bluing on it. The wood looks truly amazing though and doesn't have any dings in it at all.

image-1062270878.jpg   image-3166163596.jpg   image-2550790992.jpg   image-2124521900.jpg   image-578608569.jpg  

image-2588191489.jpg   image-4037251811.jpg   image-2175814537.jpg  

Last edited by kaido; 08-15-2013 at 04:50 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 2364

Great!
I have an old Marlin 39-A
Rossi in .44mag.
Winchester 30-30, was a gift.
And a Red Ryder BB gun.
wanting to get a .45 Colt L/A

Have been collecting for years.

I do love to shoot the Lever Action.
terilafaye Likes This 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #3

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I own a number of lever guns. My favorites are the Winchester Mdl. 1886 45-70 and the Marlin Mdl.-39 .22. I have a 1950s Marlin Mdl-39 "Mountie". The old Mountie has survived the Wind River Mtns. and the Mojava Desert. It trained my children to love and respect firearms. The Mountie has provided many elk camp meals of "Fool" hens and Snow Shoe rabbits.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Sounds like a blast. I love lever guns too. I currently own a Winchester 30-30, that I haven't yet shot because I haven't been able to find ammo.

My dad has the same type of gun, though (Winchester 30-30), that I have shot a few times when I was younger. Great fun!

Always have clean socks.

terilafaye Likes This 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #5

Oh man was it ever a blast. I'm a little jealous of those of you who own more then one lever....well more then one of any gun really. HAha

I can't wait to get my hand on a centre fire lever action now.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Liked 491 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I've fired that same model and loved it. Belonged to a buddy but he let me shoot it enough to convince me I'd like one someday.

I've always liked lever guns in general though so I could be biased.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava
I've fired that same model and loved it. Belonged to a buddy but he let me shoot it enough to convince me I'd like one someday.

I've always liked lever guns in general though so I could be biased.
I've always hated lever guns. Those air rifles that need to have the forearm pumped killed them for me when I was younger. I always thought I would never own one, then I seem this one for a good price and figured that since my dad likes lever guns, if buy it so he could shoot it.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #8

I've always enjoyed lever-guns. For a fumble fingered guy like myself a bolt-action has always been awkward. I know guys who have put hundreds and even thousands of rounds down-range through a bolt-action and work it so fast it looks almost mechanical. That has never been me.

Lever-actions have always just worked for me. I actually had my first lever-action as a kid. A classic Daisy BB gun. Only could pump it once and it was low powered, but I learned from there. Working a firearm versus an airgun is different. The action is smoother, it's not working an air pump, you are just loading a round into battery and moving the hammer into firing position. Feels very nice to me but it has to be done smoothly as my son found out when he failed to properly chamber a round. You can't just jerk the lever around.

Not sure if I had my choice it would be my first selection for a deer rifle, but I have a beautiful Marlin in 30-30 that is a joy to shoot. Fired a couple of Henrys now in .22LR and liked them both. I actually did better with the Golden Boy replica in .22 because it doesn't have the hooded sight. My eyesight continues to get worse and I had a hard time focusing on the front post. So far I haven't met a lever gun I don't like.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava
I've always enjoyed lever-guns. For a fumble fingered guy like myself a bolt-action has always been awkward. I know guys who have put hundreds and even thousands of rounds down-range through a bolt-action and work it so fast it looks almost mechanical. That has never been me.

Lever-actions have always just worked for me. I actually had my first lever-action as a kid. A classic Daisy BB gun. Only could pump it once and it was low powered, but I learned from there. Working a firearm versus an airgun is different. The action is smoother, it's not working an air pump, you are just loading a round into battery and moving the hammer into firing position. Feels very nice to me but it has to be done smoothly as my son found out when he failed to properly chamber a round. You can't just jerk the lever around.

Not sure if I had my choice it would be my first selection for a deer rifle, but I have a beautiful Marlin in 30-30 that is a joy to shoot. Fired a couple of Henrys now in .22LR and liked them both. I actually did better with the Golden Boy replica in .22 because it doesn't have the hooded sight. My eyesight continues to get worse and I had a hard time focusing on the front post. So far I haven't met a lever gun I don't like.

That's just it, I knew an actual lever gun would be so much simpler then an air rifle, but it was one of those things that just stuck with me. A lot of people I talk to that used the pump air rifles all seem to have a thing against lever actions, even my girlfriend. So well.....going to get her to shoot this one and see what she things of it. Haha

I've actually thought about removing the hood on mine, but I've figured I'll leave it how it is. My other rifles all have a scope or some attachment to them, so I'm trying to keep this one stock......if I can't get the iron sights to line up next time I'm out though, I'm gonna start looking for a scope.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #10

I think if you don't have my eye issues, the hooded sight is supposed to help you acquire the front sight quicker. I find it distracting and difficult to focus. If my eyes were still 20/20 I think I would have been fine with it.

Interesting that I have a rifle with an enclosed front sight but the rear is a military style peep sight so it's less of an issue.