Need some verbal ammunition - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Need some verbal ammunition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

After 4 summers of shooting .22s at paper and steel over 200k rounds we finally had a ricochet. The 22 popped back and hit an adult shooter in his leg (weird prone position, his bent leg was up in the air??? and it was hit). The bullet had a slight deformation on its nose and failed to break the skin (all shooters were wearing eye protection) had the shooter been wearing long pants he might not have even noticed. I can not remember where but I found in print a a recommendation of 60' for steel and .22s.
I had my day too, while running a pellet rifle shoot using paper targets inside a building for firearms safety I was struck above one eye by a pellet fired 180 degrees away from me. Right above the eye protection I had a beautiful perfectly round circle .177 cal. hole that shortly started to drip blood. The perfectly formed pellet was on the floor. Two of us, both with long experience, were paying attention. We never did figure out how it happened- even if you can't see him. Murphy is there. Eye protection is good.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #22

Liked 1804 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

We shoot steel knock down targets quite often at the IDPA club. We have shot as close as maybe 15 yards. I have seen a little splatter once in a while. But I have never seen a whole bullet survive hitting a steel plate. I often see a bunch of lead and even jacketed stuff laying on the ground within a few feet of the target. We are required to shoot full powered loads. No cowboy stuff here.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #23

Liked 1363 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 320

As I recall, in the video they were shooting Cast Iron targets, not steel targets. Cast Iron is brittle, it shatters and it is certainly possible that, under the right conditions it could come back on you.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #24

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
As I recall, in the video they were shooting Cast Iron targets, not steel targets. Cast Iron is brittle, it shatters and it is certainly possible that, under the right conditions it could come back on you.
I don't doubt a piece of cast iron could fly back I'm just talking about a full fledged bullet on a return course from one point of reflection... It just can't happen unless they were shooting an already mangled as hell target

But even if that's the case the bullet would still leave huge damage on his headset of we are to believe it flung it off his head in such a dramatic manner