Need some help :D
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Need some help :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need some help :D

Okay so today was my fifth time shooting ever, and my first time with my own AR. Im not going to lie, im still a beginning shooter and i didnt do to hot. Here is everything that we used, and everything that happened.

We shot 70 rounds of 55gr TulAmmo (i know, terrible ammo, not buying it again)
20" RRA chrome Moly 1:9 twist
50 yards from the target
Tasco scope that is supposedly sighted in at 100yds

Now here is the most embarrassing part. . .

I hit the target 6times. . .

I know, terrible, however i still had a lot of fun just shooting the gun, and im not mad at all, i would now like you experts to help me figure out how to get more on target next time i go. Also i dont have a spotting scope so i cant see if my rounds are hitting the target until i go get my stand. Also like i said, keep in mind this was about my fifth time shooting.

So help me!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #2

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I start my target out at 25 yards with all my rifles when I sight in new scopes then move to 50 then 100. But most importantly, just keep going and shoot more and more

Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #3

How much was your scope? A gun is only as good as it's scope. I'm not much of a tasco fan. Just sayin although that probably wasn't the problem it could have made it worse.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #4

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Do what I do with each "New-to-shooting" student;
  1. I tell them to ignore ALL the other shooters around them.
  2. I start them off with a target set at a ridiculously close range.
  3. Once they start to get rounds on paper they start to under stand how to walk them in on the 10 ring.
  4. They also begin to understand the difference between POA and POI and how to adjust to make them the same.
  5. Success breeds success, each student will grow bored with all bull's-eyes and request to move the target out to a more challenging distance. This needs to be done in baby steps.
  6. With each target move, the process starts over. Take your time, enjoy the moment. (This is sage advice for both student and instructor.)
Enjoy the exercise and understand that ALL new shooters need to have a positive experience if we wish them to turn into experienced shooters.

In our sport, if a participant doesn't have fun, they go bowling.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #5

Thanks canebrake, think you hit that perfectly, either way, i had a ton of fun, whether i hit the target or not, it just feels good, and now i now that next time im going to better!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10558 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Good advice above. What position are you shooting FROM? Standing offhand is probably the LEAST accurate. Kneeling better, sitting better yet, prone or bench rest the best.

Be sure that scope is on the paper at that range. Use a Dirty Bird or other hi viz target, use binocs to spot.

The old mantra we used to teach beginning riflemen- BRASS
Breathe. If you need to, take 3 deep breaths, let 4th breath halfway out, hold
Relax- pay attention to where you are tense
Aim- use same aim point. Yes, it wobbles around, Do not rush a shot trying to catch wobble- concentrate on aiming at one point, wobble gets smaller.
Slack- take of the slack on the trigger, and hold it
Squeeze- with the first pad of finger on trigger (NOT the whole finger) squeeze until trigger breaks.

And get someone to watch and coach you. See if there is a Project Appleseed around where you are.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

All good advice above. To be general, there are a couple of things you need to do.

1. Find a way to get immediate, or at least quick, feedback from your target. Some methods you can use:
A. Bring your target closer. You'll be able to see it. And it's a good idea to shoot at closer range until you improve, then increase the range.

B. Use optics. Whether that's a spotting scope, binos or a even digital camera with a great zoom lens.

C. Use a "splatter" target like the Dirty Bird mentioned above, or a Shoot-N-C. Then it's easier to see where you are hitting.

D. Visit your target after every group. Mark your hits. You can do that with a pen, and you might want to circle each group as a whole. I've used colored stickers to paste over the holes red for the first group, green for the second, etc.

E. If you're off the target, get a bigger target. I know that sounds sarcastic, but I'm not kidding. You can't effectively adjust your shooting until you know where your rounds are going.
2. Take yourself out of the equation as much as possible. Shoot it from a bench if you can, and use a bench rest, if possible. If you don't have access to a bench rest, you can pick up rest bags, which are kind of like little sandbags that are designed to hold the front and rear of your rifle. Or you can always make sandbags. If you can't use a bench, go prone, and still use a rest, at least for the front of the rifle.

Most of all, keep the good attitude. You're having fun and getting better. Along with staying safe, those are the most important things.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #8

Would the fact that im using TulAmmo affect accuracy much? or is it okay to use it next time, also does the Grains of the ammo affect accuracy, or are those just little factors?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10558 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Every thing you do- and use- has an impact on accuracy. However, your primary problem right now sounds like operator and not equipment.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #10

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetics View Post
Would the fact that im using TulAmmo affect accuracy much? or is it okay to use it next time, also does the Grains of the ammo affect accuracy, or are those just little factors?
TulAmmo is fine.

Grain is the weight measure of the bullet and yes it has a lot to do with accuracy.

You need to match bullet weight to the twist rate of your barrel.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Newest Threads