Need help, Kimber Pro Carry II leaves a bit to be desired - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Need help, Kimber Pro Carry II leaves a bit to be desired

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I clean mine with Hoppes #9 then lube with the Mobil 1. And yes, I use the Mobil 1 on any surface needing lubrication...

Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just wanted to update this thread. I cleaned the Kimber and relubed it with Mobil 1 4T Racing Synthetic oil. My two Tripp Research Gen II Cobra mags arrived the other day and they look and feel amazing! I can’t wait to test them out.

Going back to the range tonight to put another 200 rds of WWB through it. I also picked up 3 boxes of Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 230GR JHPs to test once I run another 3-400 rounds of FMJ through the 1911. Here’s to hoping I have better luck tonight.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like a plan! Let us know how the shooting goes tonight.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #24

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Range Update #2

Yesterday, after work, I went to the range to run another 200 rds of WWB through the Kimber to continue its break in. I only used the two Tripp Gen II Cobra mags this time. The first mag in, rack the slide, fire, fire, fire, fire, slide lock back. I’m thinking what the hell! Not this again! I chamber another round and finish off the last three rounds in the mag. At this point I’m wondering if my second day shooting the pistol is going to go the same route as the first. Throughout the next hour, I fired twenty six more mags without a single issue or hiccup!

After another 200 rds through it, and then some SD ammo run through to see how it likes it I hope to be able to carry it if I choose to. I haven’t shot the 9mm in 3 weeks so I think I’m going to run them both next time. I will enjoy seeing if I shoot the 9 better this time around now being used to the 45 recoil.

I have one 5-shot target I brought home which was towards the end of my range time. I am only really happy with one of my groupings at 15 feet. Being new to this (up until I purchased my 9mm less than a month ago I had never fired a gun with the exception of my NRA course), I try and make myself understand that this isn’t easy and is going to take a lot of practice and time. One grouping will be good and the next I’m back all over the target.

I'm lefty, but right eye dominant and I still need to work on holding the pistol and aiming. I find that I can't keep both eyes open when firing, cause I can't focus on the sight. I am still anticipating the recoil so my shots are mostly hitting low and right. Got to keep practicing and take a few classes when I can. I am definitely going to pick up a few more of those Tripp mags. Photo of target to follow.

Last edited by jamesb; 07-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like you've got the initial bugs out of it--put a couple more hundred through and you should be totally confident in it. Now that you love the .45, you should get rid of that P30--I'll do you a favor and give you $100 for it!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #26

My Stainless II had a similar issue during break in. It was deformed MIM slidestop. Seems common with some Kimbers. After shooting the pistol check for brass marks on the inner part of the slide stop where rounds could be brushing up against it. You want to lightly stone those area while maintaining the general shape or contours. You can give kimber(do this first) a call and let them know and they would send you a free slidestop that has already been modified.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #27

Likes Given: 5

Default Anticipting recoil?

Have someone load the magazine for you a few times and put an empty case somewhere in the magazine. It is a good way to check if your anticipating recoil and tugging dwon when you pull the trigger. I used to hit low and a few trips to the range with a friend loading magazines and i have settled out that problem.

Take a look at this chart and see if it helps.

Handgun Shooting Tips

Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #28

Liked 1436 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by safedman View Post
Have someone load the magazine for you a few times and put an empty case somewhere in the magazine. It is a good way to check if your anticipating recoil and tugging dwon when you pull the trigger. I used to hit low and a few trips to the range with a friend loading magazines and i have settled out that problem.

Take a look at this chart and see if it helps.

Handgun Shooting Tips
If using the "Correction Target" be sure you understand the proper steps. Please read this:

Do’s and Don’ts of the “Correction Target”

Here are some free printable targets: (including the L&R correction targets)

Rifle & Pistol Targets

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #29

Liked 1436 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by safedman View Post
You will need a serious feeding-talented autoloader to cycle empties. Use snap caps.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello