Need help, Kimber Pro Carry II leaves a bit to be desired
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Need help, Kimber Pro Carry II leaves a bit to be desired

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Need help, Kimber Pro Carry II leaves a bit to be desired

So range update:

First...I have horrible aim...my groupings are good but they pull down and right. I don't feel i'm doing anything wrong with my grip. I'm consistant in shooting this way weather its the 1911 or the HK. Granted I've only ever been to the range 3 times now in my entire life so I know I have to learn.

Kimber Pro Carry II update:

Nice, but not reliable yet. My groupings at 15 feet were better than with my HK. I put 200 rounds of WWB within an hour. It was very hot in the range. I don't sweat much and I was dripping. No A/C. I had at least 5 or 6 Failure To Feeds where the round got hung up not allowing the slide to cycle fully closed. I also had about 6 times where the slide locked back even with rounds still in the magazine.

200 rounds later I like the gun, but I hope as I keep putting rounds through it it gets more reliable. Being new, I don't know what is causing the FTFs or slide catch to lock back with rounds left in the magazines.

Could it be magazines themselves causing this? I have a Kimber 7 rd and 8 rd magazine. I only loaded them both to 7 rds. The feeding ramp as well as the rest of the gun was very dirty by time I hit close to 100 rounds.

Any help for a newb would be helpful.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Someone who's more of a 1911 expert will be along soon to help out. But while we're waiting, how about a little more info?

Did either/both of these problems occur with just one magazine or both?

On the FTFs, did the round stop with its nose on the feed ramp? Or did it hang up going into the chamber? Or did it make it most of the way into the chamber but the slide just didn't completely return forward into battery?

One thing you can look at while you're at home that might help with the slide-lock problem is to examine your grip. It's not unusual for a shooter's thumb to nudge the slide release and cause the slide to lock back.

That's all I have. As I said, the experts will be along directly.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Someone who's more of a 1911 expert will be along soon to help out. But while we're waiting, how about a little more info?

Did either/both of these problems occur with just one magazine or both?

Happened with both Kimber magazines.

On the FTFs, did the round stop with its nose on the feed ramp? Or did it hang up going into the chamber? Or did it make it most of the way into the chamber but the slide just didn't completely return forward into battery?

A few seemed like they got hung up on the feed ramp while the others seem like it didn't go all the way into the chamber. A few times the slide was maybe 5mm or so from returning totally forward into battery.

One thing you can look at while you're at home that might help with the slide-lock problem is to examine your grip. It's not unusual for a shooter's thumb to nudge the slide release and cause the slide to lock back.

I'm lefty. I'm pretty sure my hand wasn't near the slide catch lever.

That's all I have. As I said, the experts will be along directly.

See above. Thanks.

I am also going to order a couple of these to see if anything changes.

1911 Magazine | 7 Round .45 ACP | Full-Size | Black-Wilson Combat

Old 07-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Mine did the same thing. A call to kimber will tell you to keep firing the gun and see what happens after the initial break in period. The manual even states to use fmj ammo for 500-600rds to break in the pistol and smooth it out, after that you shouldn't have any problems. Did you read the manual?

I also use the wilson mags and they have been great. I have about 700rds downrange with mine and haven't had any ftf's since round 250 or so. Keep shooting,get the new mags, and you will be well pleased.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Make sure that you do not have any appendages (thumbs) near the slide release (or what some call the slide stop). I have seen people who are new to the 1911 do that because their other firearm did not have the slide release protude as much and can get away with the thumb there.
On shooting low right, that could be of too much finger on the trigger. Or pulling the gun to the right as the finger works the trigger.
Somebody has a picture of a circle that helps to explain groupings. Maybe they could post it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My pro carry has been a champ and so far will eat everything I feed it. Keep shooting to break it in and if that doesn't work, try a different magazine and see what happens

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

NEED DATA!

Is this your first 1911?

Is this your first 4.25" 1911?

Is the gun new? I assume yes.

Why didn't you buy a Colt? Never mind.

If you MUST buy Wilson Mags, only buy one and then buy one Tripp Research Gen II Cobra mag and compare the two. You will be buying Tripp's from then on!

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines

Read this before you buy any 1911 mag:

MAG QUESTIONS:

My first pistol a 1911 Kimber

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Make sure that you do not have any appendages (thumbs) near the slide release (or what some call the slide stop). I have seen people who are new to the 1911 do that because their other firearm did not have the slide release protude as much and can get away with the thumb there.
On shooting low right, that could be of too much finger on the trigger. Or pulling the gun to the right as the finger works the trigger.
Somebody has a picture of a circle that helps to explain groupings. Maybe they could post it.
I have those photos for both right and left handed shooters. Actually have them saved on my phone as a PDF so I can pull them up if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Mine did the same thing. A call to kimber will tell you to keep firing the gun and see what happens after the initial break in period. The manual even states to use fmj ammo for 500-600rds to break in the pistol and smooth it out, after that you shouldn't have any problems. Did you read the manual?

I also use the wilson mags and they have been great. I have about 700rds downrange with mine and haven't had any ftf's since round 250 or so. Keep shooting,get the new mags, and you will be well pleased.
Will do. I still have 600 rds of the WWB so I guess I will go through that and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
My pro carry has been a champ and so far will eat everything I feed it. Keep shooting to break it in and if that doesn't work, try a different magazine and see what happens
Thanks, going to order the Wilson combat mag I posted in a few. Probably one for now just to see how they work, then if they are good another one or two.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
NEED DATA!

Is this your first 1911? Yes

Is this your first 4.25" 1911? Yes

Is the gun new? I assume yes. Yes

Why didn't you buy a Colt? Never mind.

If you MUST buy Wilson Mags, only buy one and then buy one Tripp Research Gen II Cobra mag and compare the two. You will be buying Tripp's from then on!

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines

Read this before you buy any 1911 mag:

MAG QUESTIONS:

My first pistol a 1911 Kimber
Thank you. I have heard that the Tripp mags are good. I'll pick one of them up first, then if I don't like it I will try the Wilson mag.

EDIT: Is this the one I should go for: It is model 7R-45-WG, "Magazine 1911, .45 ACP caliber, seven round, welded steel floor plate, government grip length, hybrid follower, 14C .042 spring.
Flush fit for full size government length grip. " I want the government size correct, considering mine is a full size frame?

Last edited by jamesb; 07-09-2010 at 02:40 AM.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I should add, I use Tripp Reasearch mags. I carry them daily and trust them with my life.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer