Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > My Wife FINALLY Went!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default My Wife FINALLY Went!

The wife finally decided to come along with me yesterday to the range! A very pleasant surprise for me and us. We got a babysitter (rare occurrence as we have no family here) and took the nice 30+ mi trek on the dusty dirt road out of town and to the shooting club where friendly and familiar faces awaited. (I told them she was coming )

I brought a single-six, SP101, XD40, Para Ordinance 1911 PDA and a Model 60 Airweight. Both the SP101 and Model 60 were fitted with Houges, loaded down with .38s and The XD was loaded with 135 grain Federal "Low Recoil" cartridges. The 1911 carried standard 230 grain Remington UMC.

After the standard safety lessons. I gave her a crash course in stance, grip, trigger press, sight alignment, etc. We were the only ones in the berm, (gotta love it ) but I explained some common etiquette in case there were others. (what I remembered anyways, been a while since I've shot around people)

She started with the single-six, first shot . . . bulls-eye!!! She shot about 4 more cylinders. Practiced ejection/reload and wanted to move on. She picked up the SP101 and 2 full speed-loaders and went to the 10 yd line. I marked out 5, 7, 10, 15 and 25 (25 just for me, of course ) Her first target was the one I attached. She caught on to the speed-loaders quickly (we've practiced little at the house) and shot about 40 rounds, till she switched to the Model 60. She almost shot it as well, but didn't show as much interest and I think she was already confident with the Ruger.

I urged her to try the XD. . . didn't work though. She's only 5'2 - 130, her hands are small and she couldn't grip it comfortably while depressing the trigger, and the recoil made her uncomfortable, even with the "low recoil" rounds. Almost the same scenario with the Para "Doesn't feel right" were the exact words used in both.

So she shot another 35 rounds through the SP101 and then I heard the words: "I'm not shooting as well as I did the last time." I knew that meant her hands were tiring and we wrapped it up.

(The whole time we were out there in between instruction, I was testing shotgun loads at various distances, out of various barrel lengths! (range report to come).

Overall it was a great day and now when she sees my Ruger on my waistband, she asks "Where you going with my gun?" I figure I'll look out for another J-Frame (Model 60 won't be around ) or 2 and we'll decide what is best for us and our carry situations. She also must enroll in a CCW class, fortunately taught by really good, experienced folks and put LOTS more range time in.

She's looking forward to her next range session, which will be a refresher with the Ruger, Model 60 (or hopefully something new!) and intro to rifles. I'm really glad we were able to enjoy this together. We've not had the best of times lately and this really was a major breath of fresh air.

Thank you Guns!

p1010176.jpg  

Last edited by diggsbakes; 09-14-2010 at 04:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent Diggs! It sounds like the only gun shopping necessary will be to buy her her own SP101.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

That's what I'm afraid of my brother. I don't like having dupes, especially when the gun fund isn't at is highest right now. If I do have to get another I'll get a different configuration. Maybe I'll do a little survey and have ya'll help me choose how to solve this predicament.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

What's the barrel length on the one you have? If it's the 2.25" maybe get the three inch model or vice versa.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6962 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 8380

Give her your SP101 and get yourself a new something or other. I'm glad she had a great time and I'm very glad is was a bonding time for the two of you.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is really great Diggs! She did pretty well for one of her first times out, especially not being real familiar with everything that was going on ( all the crash training, the outside surroundings, the weapons ). I would say you definitely have yourself a keeper there, but I would keep an eye on that Ruger of yours or it just might be appropriated.

Congrats to Mrs. Bakes and her full blown entry into the firearms' curse.

JD

Old 09-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Outstanding!! My wife hasn't gone in a while but she does go and I think it's good for us as a couple and helps her as well. I think she did quite well for her first time out.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
now when she sees my Ruger on my waistband, she asks "Where you going with my gun?"

Ha fantastic, diggs! Congratulations to you both.

The smell of gunpowder claims yet another...I predict she'll love shooting rifles. Particularly semis, if that's a possibility

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is great. I am glad you guys had fun and she enjoyed it!!!

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6962 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 8380

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Ha fantastic, diggs! Congratulations to you both.

The smell of gunpowder claims yet another...I predict she'll love shooting rifles. Particularly semis, if that's a possibility
My first time at the range with a friend I shot semi-auto rifles and absolutely loved it. Particularly the Uzi. It was outrageous fun. It's a great suggestion to take her to the range with a semi-auto rifle. I was going to say "take her out with a semi-auto rifle" but then decided that didn't sound right.