Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   My new Kel-tec PF9 review (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/my-new-kel-tec-pf9-review-66260/)

dahur 06-11-2012 10:15 PM

My new Kel-tec PF9 review

I wanted something I could carry in my front pocket, this is a LOT lighter than my Smith & Wesson M&P 9c.

I got it a couple days ago, and finally made it to the range today.
The 2nd, and 3rd rounds failed to feed. After that, I didn't have any failures.

It does have some kick to it, but it didn't bother me too much. What did bother me was the recoil on my trigger finger. I could feel it hitting, and when I saw some blood, it was time to quit for the day.
I know it has a break in period, so I had those two FTF, (was it the gun, or the mag...?), and through 70 more rounds, no more problems.

I've read people don't like the trigger, but I do. I got used to it in only a few shots. It goes a long ways back until you feel some resistance. Then the rest of the way and it fires.

At 7 yards, I put most of them in the 1ft x 2ft target. but they were all over the place, and I'm sure that's me. More practice.

I have some arthritis in my hands, and the Kel-Tec is a little difficult to take down and reassemble. The M&P 9c is much more easier (for me).

Over all, I like it. I want to finish breaking it in, however the next time to the range, I think I'll put a couple band-aids on my finger first.

fmj 06-12-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahur (Post 832949)
I wanted something I could carry in my front pocket, this is a LOT lighter than my Smith & Wesson M&P 9c.

I got it a couple days ago, and finally made it to the range today.
The 2nd, and 3rd rounds failed to feed. After that, I didn't have any failures.

It does have some kick to it, but it didn't bother me too much. What did bother me was the blow back on my trigger finger. I could feel it hitting, and when I saw some blood, it was time to quit for the day.
I know it has a break in period, so I had those two FTF, (was it the gun, or the mag...?), and through 70 more rounds, no more problems.

I've read people don't like the trigger, but I do. I got used to it in only a few shots. It goes a long ways back until you feel some resistance. Then the rest of the way and it fires.

At 7 yards, I put most of them in the 1ft x 2ft target. but they were all over the place, and I'm sure that's me. More practice.

I have some arthritis in my hands, and the Kel-Tec is a little difficult to take down and reassemble. The M&P 9c is much more easier (for me).

Over all, I like it. I want to finish breaking it in, however the next time to the range, I think I'll put a couple band-aids on my finger first.

I am going to assume the 2 FTF's were on you...the little rig has a good bit of recoil and if you limp wrist it even slightly, she wont cycle.

I know not of what you speak "blow back on the trigger finger"...not something i have ever noticed with mine. I like the trigger better than the S&W Body guard...but less than the Ruger SR9c. (the SR9c is not nearly as concealable and i DESPISE the trigger safety feature on ANY gun)

I shoot 8 1/2" x 11" standard notebook paper targets....can land all 7 on paper at 10 yards....that will make a mess of a human chest cavity every time. ;)

he PF-9 is a great little gun for what she is...i dont think it so much the gun needs broken in (yes, every new gun or mechanical device needs a break in period) but i think its more the shooter needs broken in! :D

Anywho, keep practicing and enjoy...IMHO the PF-9 is a great little pocket gun.

dahur 06-22-2012 10:44 PM

Just got back from the range. I ran 125 rounds through the PF9 without a single failure. I could feel it hitting my trigger finger like the first time, but I had 2 band-aids on, and no problem at all.
This was a much more enjoyable trip to the range than my first time. I got more used to the trigger, and by the end, I put my last 10 rounds in a 3 in group, at 7 yards. That was pretty good for me.

I'm really liking this little pocket pistol.

JigSawer40 06-23-2012 01:50 AM

Congrats. I had a PF9 and at first it was a snappy buckler but after a few trips to the range I don't even notice. Check the bolt on the extractor spring that it is tight. If it gets too loose the firing pin can come out under recoil. It'll cause extraction problems as well.

That's all there is to it so enjoy it. By the way, keep the rails greased.

I bought the PF9 for CC and it ended up as a range gun (didn't know it'd be so much fun) so I sold it and got a full size 9mm, a Sigma.

russ 06-23-2012 07:29 AM

I'm really happy with my PF9. It is my main summer time carry gun. It totally disappears in the front pocket of a baggy pair of shorts. While I've had no trouble with mine, my dad also has one and it had a ton of misfires at first. You could see that the firing pin was hitting the primer way off center. One call to Kel Tec and a whole new slide assembly showed up at his door less than 10 days later. I always say that everyone makes mistakes, but it's how they deal with them that defines real customer service. In my book, Kel Tec passes that test with flying colors.

fmj 06-23-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ (Post 846240)
I'm really happy with my PF9. It is my main summer time carry gun. It totally disappears in the front pocket of a baggy pair of shorts. While I've had no trouble with mine, my dad also has one and it had a ton of misfires at first. You could see that the firing pin was hitting the primer way off center. One call to Kel Tec and a whole new slide assembly showed up at his door less than 10 days later. I always say that everyone makes mistakes, but it's how they deal with them that defines real customer service. In my book, Kel Tec passes that test with flying colors.

Good to hear about an American company with top notch customer service! Makes me feel even better about my choice in a pocket gun.

Same here as to the summer carry gun...well thats how it started out...now its what i carry all the time.

JigSawer40 06-23-2012 06:28 PM

KT will take care of you but they changed their policy where second hands don't get the service for free.

dahur 06-23-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JigSawer40 (Post 846531)
KT will take care of you but they changed their policy where second hands don't get the service for free.

Original owners still have a life time warranty...?

JigSawer40 06-23-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahur (Post 846662)
Original owners still have a life time warranty...?

Yep, for life. :)