Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > My Hope Is...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My Hope Is...

...to shut someone up. I just finished this:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/stevens-200-spiffed-up-27370/

and am still in the break in process. There is a local informal group that shoots twice a month for nothing more than bragging rights. There are 10 guys, one is a mid forties loudmouth with some decent equipment. There are two older guys in their 70's that don't pay him much attention and the rest are twenty something "I wanna be a sniper" types. Their rules are .22 caliber only, Friday night is 100 yards, Saturday is 200, Sunday is 300 and the aggregate score wins. Bags or bipod from a bench, 10 minutes for one fouler, sighter and five round group.

Loudmouth has a Remmington 700 action with a Kreiger barrel, HS Precision stock and Leupold Mark 4 in .223. No idea about his loads. He claims he was a "sniper" with 3-172 (Mountain). He consistently wins these competitions with high fives and low sixes at 100. With the amount of money he has tied up in his rifle I'd hope for better if I were him. Anyway, I happen to be in 3-172 (Mountain). I am 11B, assingned to HHC, scout platoon. This guy was in 3-172 about ten years ago but was an 11C (mortars). Big difference in the accuracy requirements there. Anyhow, all the younger guys flock to him like he's a god and it pisses me off so I think I might bring my junk and try to shut him up (easy Tango, by junk I mean rifle ).

I realize an .877" isn't that great but these were the absolute cheapest factory loads I could find for break in and brass and I have the rest of the day today and tomorrow to get some decent handloads cranked out. Using Lapua brass, CCI primers (not BR), 40 grain V-Max and either H322 or Reloader 10X.

Any suggestions? I wanna shut this guy down bad.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't think there is much left but to do it.

If this guy is shooting 5's and 6's, you should be able to AT LEAST match that with the work you got there. I would be surprised if you didn't outscore him assuming the weather conditions are favorable and you aren't suffering from Tourets'

For a break in group, there is nothing wrong with that. Factory brass, and not fine tuned. With some reloads I bet you cut that size down to 2/3's of it's size easy.

I would say best of luck and you should be quite able to do exactly what you have in mind.

JD

Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Retired

Liked 2267 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

Most people do not like to be confronted. Keep track of what he sez, and an oppurtunity will arise. Quality equipment is a must (as you know). Keep plugging and follow Dillinger's advice.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #4

Thanks. I am NOT a "benchrest" shooter so I am a little nervous. All of my legit competitive shooting is in the service and most soldiers can't shoot so...

Handloads and report coming tomorrow and the shoot is tomorrow night. I will spank him. I swear.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

Well, after Saturday night, I have one less potential "friend".

The guy barely broke into the fives and almost had a temper tantrum. He usually hangs out for an hour or so when the shooting stops. Last night he cased his rifle and threw it, literally, into his truck and left without more than ten words.

Ohh well. My group that shut his mouth:

Old 05-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #6

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is a FINE group. Well done, my friend!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Congrats Creep,, sounds like you shut him up huh

Old 05-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #8

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Great job on the rifle and shooting. Some people just need to be knocked down a little once in a while to keep them in line with reality. I have done that with shooters with a big mouth in the past who think they are God on the range. Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim.........

Old 05-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #9

WOW I hunt and cant even dream of shooting that tight. Open that group up to an inch and a half i could hang. congrates

Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

That is a beautiful group. Nice shooting, and good job with the "crowd control".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."