Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   My first trip to the range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/my-first-trip-range-94984/)

Budasac 08-05-2013 01:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just got my permit a week ago and took my first trip to the range today. Having never fired a pistol before I think I did pretty well. (I'm happy with it anyway). I went with a few other guys so I had the chance to fire a few different guns.

I have a Glock 23 (.40) and a S&W M&P 15-22 rifle.
I also had the opportunity to shoot a Ruger SR22, a S&W "Bodyguard" (.380), and a .45 caliber Taurus.

The following are my first two mags with the Ruger , then the Glock, and lastly the S&W .380. Keep in mind this is my first time shooting any gun at all.( This is at 20 feet.)

Gatoragn 08-05-2013 01:44 AM

Looks like you are off to an excellent start.

sputnik1988 08-05-2013 01:45 AM

Nice!

Ya did good.

JW357 08-05-2013 02:27 AM

You did exceptionally better than a lot of "experienced" shooters. Fundamentals, that's all it is!

Congrats.

Budasac 08-05-2013 03:19 AM

Thanks guys, I had a great time. I'm hooked for sure, just wish it wasn't so expensive. Besides the buy-in (Guns, safe, accessories), ammo is crazy expensive. I bought the Glock from a friend who gave me some ammo he had with it. A 100 round box of Winchester white .40 S&W had a sticker on it for $18.99. I bought one the other day for $48.

Between me and my buddy (we were sharing guns) we went through 850 rounds in 2 hours. Granted, about 400-450 were .22 lr, but still. It wasn't a cheap day. (Plus I had to buy 100 rounds of .40 on the way out to replace some of what I burned through.)

therewolf 08-05-2013 03:22 AM

Certainly better than my first attempt.;)

Budasac 08-10-2013 04:34 PM

So I went back to the range by myself on Thurs. My first trip was with three other guys and 6 guns. I figured I'd go back and spend more time taking shots using only my 2 guns (M&P rifle and Glock 23).
Everyone criticized me the other day for shooting way too fast. This time I took my time between each shot to really line up the sights and found that my groupings actually opened up a bit. I seemed to do better when I was just firing away. I believe I was putting too much thought into it.

My first trip I had no contacts in (I'm supposed to wear glasses but rarely do, just when driving at night), stood with one leg back and my shoulders turned (like I was holding a rifle) with both arms bent, and firing faster then one shot per second. I had the results I posted above. I was pretty consistent with every gun I picked up.

This time I tried to incorporate all the advice I was given: wear contacts, square my shoulders/stance to the target, lean forward slightly, extend my arms, take my time between each shot. The results weren't horrible, but not what I was expecting. Clearly I was better the first day

I did do better with the rifle, but wish I hadn't listened to anyone's advice concerning my stance. Looks like I'm just gonna have to go back to the range some more. ;-)

I also bought a Ruger 22/45 Target model while I was buying ammo. It's paid for, I just can't actually have it till the end of the month. NJ requires you wait 30 days between hand gun purchases and I got the Glock on July 27.

JW357 08-10-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budasac
So I went back to the range by myself on Thurs. My first trip was with three other guys and 6 guns. I figured I'd go back and spend more time taking shots using only my 2 guns (M&P rifle and Glock 23).
Everyone criticized me the other day for shooting way too fast. This time I took my time between each shot to really line up the sights and found that my groupings actually opened up a bit. I seemed to do better when I was just firing away. I believe I was putting too much thought into it.

My first trip I had no contacts in (I'm supposed to wear glasses but rarely do, just when driving at night), stood with one leg back and my shoulders turned (like I was holding a rifle) with both arms bent, and firing faster then one shot per second. I had the results I posted above. I was pretty consistent with every gun I picked up.

This time I tried to incorporate all the advice I was given: wear contacts, square my shoulders/stance to the target, lean forward slightly, extend my arms, take my time between each shot. The results weren't horrible, but not what I was expecting. Clearly I was better the first day

I did do better with the rifle, but wish I hadn't listened to anyone's advice concerning my stance. Looks like I'm just gonna have to go back to the range some more. ;-)

I also bought a Ruger 22/45 Target model while I was buying ammo. It's paid for, I just can't actually have it till the end of the month. NJ requires you wait 30 days between hand gun purchases and I got the Glock on July 27.

Stand however you're comfortable and you shoot the best.

Congrats on your 22/45 purchase. I've heard great things about the gun.

FrontierTCB 08-10-2013 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great grouping, especially for first time congrats. Nice choice on the 22/45.

I really enjoy mine. I don't break it out very often anymore because of the 22lr ammo situation.

Do yourself a favor and watch as many YouTube vids. as you can before and during field stripping and cleaning,

Getting mine apart and back together the first time took about 3 hrs. and shot my blood pressure through roof! It gets easier the more you do it.

Attachment 113475

Budasac 08-10-2013 08:48 PM

Thanks, I heard nightmares about field stripping the Ruger which turned me off a little, but any time I ask about an accurate .22, the Ruger MK is always the response.

I watched a few vids about it and it doesn't look too bad. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, an electrician by trade but, I do all my own work on my vehicles and I also build cabinets and furniture. So I don't think it should be too much of an issue.

As far as .22 ammo goes I guess I'm lucky. Like everyone else, I can't find any bulk but, my LGS always has it in stock. They limit you to 100 rounds per day. They usually have CCI standard for $4.40 for a box of 50. They did have some Mini-Mags the other day for $10 per 100.