Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > My First-Ever Visit to a Range Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My First-Ever Visit to a Range Today

A co-worker with two 1911's took me to a private range this afternoon to try out his 1911 45ACPs. I am a newbie and have only a Mossy 500 tactical for HD now, but have the fever and now want a handgun. I thought I was all set on the Springfield XD-45ACP until today. The 1911 is a sweet device. Both of his were Kimbers, but different model years with the slightest of differences. I shot about 100 rounds through them.

He also let me try out his "pocket" .38 double action 3", which taught me the uselessness on such things outside of ten feet range. I now understand the advantages of the 5" barrel pistol...

So: whichizzit whichizzit whichizzit? 1911 45ACP or a Springfield XD-45 ACP? Without being able to actually fire a Springfield it's a tough question!

BTW, compared to rifles, pistols feel kind of, umm..... sloppy (my impression as a complete newbie to shooting). So now I have a rifle jones after firing 100 rounds on my friend's FAL (which he built himself), which fires .308 rounds (approx 150g) over 2800 fps....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Glad to hear you had fun.

If you still have to ask 'tween a 1911 and the XD, then do yourself a favor and go to a range and rent an XD. That is the only true way to know what you like best, and no one will beat you up over your decision.

The most obvious difference is price. There are several models of Kimbers that you can get for under $1k. Those XD's can usually be had for a few hundy less. If price diff is not an issue, then you know where you have to go...Kimber's website.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #3

I have yet to get to a range to shoot a pistol, which I'm craving to do. Glad you had fun. I've heard great things about 1911's. Definitely dont turn them down right away.

S.S.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #4

Decision made: XD.

UPDATE: I took skullcrusher's good advice & went to a public range today and rented an XD-45 ACP tactical (5” barrel) , some range time, and bought a pack of 50 rounds. There’s a good reason they had ammo in stock: the 50 rounds of 45 auto was $37!!!

Anyway, it was love at first shot! That XD-45 is a suhweet gun! Compared to the 1911 it seemed noticeably quieter and somewhat smoother-shooting. As good or better than the 1911: smoothness, trigger feel, loading and operation. Minor nit: it seemed to have slightly more flash than I recall with the 1911s yesterday. It was definitely lighter (but not so much when stuffed with 13 rounds), but still felt very balanced.

Here's the key: I felt that I could shoot the thing all day! I went thru the entire 50-round box in no time!

My very first shot with it was ½” above the 1” bulls-eye from 30 feet; keep in mind that I haven’t touched a handgun between 1985 and yesterday, and I'd say that's a good sign. 50-foot accuracy was good also (I need to practice tho!).

The massive trump card is its 13-round clip (plus room for one more in the chamber). THAT’s a nice feature to have!

So my decision is made – sort of. I definitely want an XD-45 ACP, but I am not 100% set on the 4” barrel model, after seeing how the 3” barrel tosses all accuracy to the wind, and after enjoying the 5” barrel this afternoon (and yesreday with the 1911s). Oh well, it’s all very exciting!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Now that you know what you want, all is good.

Good job in trying different things and to me the round capacity is a definite plus!!

Xd's are considerably less than kimber 1911's as well. More $$ for ammo.

BTW, did you notice the price of 9mm is about half the 45's price? Something to ponder.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

What is it inside of you that told you it was ok to take my advice?

It is all about what you like and what makes you comfy. Still, do not mistake the truth, a well built 1911 is heads and shoulders above all the rest, imo. It is about what makes you happy. Springfield is a good company and the XD's are very popular.

Now, here's some advice that you can take to the bank: never ever pay $37.00/50 rds for target .45 acp again. That is robbery!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The XD is a great combat pistol. Anyone that says otherwise is biased, and drinks too much kool-aid.......

(notice I didn't say the XD is the only combat pistol, so calm down Dillinger...lol)

Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Even here behind the Tofu Curtain in California the Winchester White Box .45ACP sells for $39.99 for a box of 100.

Just a minor point, if you don't plan on carrying the pistol, go with the 5" barrel. Longer sight radius, slightly less felt recoil. Of course, recoil is very subjective, but you will have less muzzle flip with the longer barrel.

I love 1911's, but the XD45 is an excellent pistol. Buy what feels right. At this point you have a pretty good idea and 13 rounds of .45ACP is a powerful argument in favor of the Springfield.

Get a 1911 next time.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Just a minor point, if you don't plan on carrying the pistol, go with the 5" barrel. Longer sight radius
I also notice you tend to get longer, meater grips

It must be understood by the operator that common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built into this product, but must be supplied by the operator.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Even here behind the Tofu Curtain in California the Winchester White Box .45ACP sells for $39.99 for a box of 100.

Just a minor point, if you don't plan on carrying the pistol, go with the 5" barrel. Longer sight radius, slightly less felt recoil. Of course, recoil is very subjective, but you will have less muzzle flip with the longer barrel.

I love 1911's, but the XD45 is an excellent pistol. Buy what feels right. At this point you have a pretty good idea and 13 rounds of .45ACP is a powerful argument in favor of the Springfield.

Get a 1911 next time.
I plan to carry, so I'm leaning toward 4". Also, who says I can't buy the 1911 also, for my wife or some similar excuse? I need to move quickly however, since the communists have obviously taken over Washington and I soon may not be able to get a 1911 OR an XD. Bastages.