Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Music or No Muisc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you have proper hearing protection you shouldn't be able to hear anything except your own breathing! If you can hear music through your hearing protectors, it's time for some new hearing protectors...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Music comes out the end of the barrel.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I cant see why any one would want to hear music on the range with others around, you need to hear what is going non around you, and in case the range officer has to call a cease fire if something happens, just seems unsate to to me to have that distraction.

Layton

Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 AM   #14

Likes Given: 2

Default Look at the original post

RL,
The thread was started by someone who sells head sets that play the music. I have seen these on everything from airplanes to construction sites. The music is internal and you are not hearing this from an outside source. My recollection is that they provide at best a 26 dB drop. That is fine for an outdoor range but I shoot indoors most of the time and I start with a 30dB ear muff and will add foam plugs when the range is full or depending on the clients that day.

Regarding the comment about the ability to shoot while listening to music, I suppose if my mission was just to spend a liesurely hour launching lead down range the music would be OK. I listen to music under the ear muffs when I mow the lawn. However, I go to the range with the purpose of improving my skill. To me it is important to focus on the task. As with my motorcycle example, the absence of the music improves both the effectiveness and the safety of the experience. I also want situational awareness for the range officer commands too. Music can get in the way here too.

My 2 cents. I still say no to music head sets and serious shooting.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #15

Liked 65 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 25

IMHO music and guns would be almost as bad as alcohol and guns.

I'd also wager the op will be PM'ing the ones that would with an offer to buy his products.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad 1 View Post
RL,
The thread was started by someone who sells head sets that play the music.
Yes, I picked-up on that - I was being facetious...I also lost a lot of my hearing back in the day when Sony came out with the original Walkman. The studies didn't come out until it was too late.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #17

Well to start off ... I'm not entirely on here to pimp my companies product. I like to hear peoples input on product and as I am a noobie to guns i like to mingle with the crowd and gain some knowledge on the subject. I do agree that the music while shooting is a little on the dangerous side... but then i thought about shooting by yourself on your own property? that is secluded in a pretty much controlled environment that music won't cause you to be "unsafe". I sold a guy one that used his HP for more than just shooting i.e. woodworking. If anyone does wanna check them out i posted them in the Vendor Display Area(I try to keep my product posts in the right places) http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/hearing-protectors-ipod-compatable-range-bags-accessories-16099/

Rugged Radios ... Supplying all your communication needs!
Now Featuring 26db Hearing Protectors

chrisbrown@RuggedRadios.com
1 (888) 541-RACE

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #18

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedRadios View Post
Well to start off ... I'm not entirely on here to pimp my companies product. I like to hear peoples input on product and as I am a noobie to guns i like to mingle with the crowd and gain some knowledge on the subject. I do agree that the music while shooting is a little on the dangerous side... but then i thought about shooting by yourself on your own property? that is secluded in a pretty much controlled environment that music won't cause you to be "unsafe". I sold a guy one that used his HP for more than just shooting i.e. woodworking. If anyone does wanna check them out i posted them in the Vendor Display Area(I try to keep my product posts in the right places) http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/hearing-protectors-ipod-compatable-range-bags-accessories-16099/
I shoot on my own property. I can play as much music as loud as I want anytime I desire. The least desirable time is when I am shooting. Hell, I listen to music that comes from Hell. Could be the baddest arse stuff while shooting, but I would not know. Who wants distractions on any range, public or private. Not me.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:18 AM   #19
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1414 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 2894

Music and some a hot blond.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #20

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The range is for shooting not listening to music.
Nice pic! I suppose I could make a exception