Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Music or No Muisc (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/music-no-muisc-16062/)

RuggedRadios 07-23-2009 10:42 PM

Music or No Muisc

Do you shooters out there like listening to music while at the range? Let me know your thoughts on this b/c i do :D:D:D

ScottG 07-24-2009 12:13 AM

No, I just like hearing the screams of my targets............. :D

user4 07-24-2009 01:47 AM

It has never occurred to me to listen to music while shooting...

slwarren 07-24-2009 03:04 AM

I've never thought about it! It might be a nice change, though I don't think you could hear much....:)

CA357 07-24-2009 04:03 AM

I like my smoke and noise unadulterated.

cpttango30 07-24-2009 07:28 PM

Not really. To me this is a major safety hazard. you can still hear with plugs or muffs or plugs and muffs on. You slap a pair of muffs over a set of in the ear noise cancelling head phones and some Seether turned up to 11 on the dial and your asking for problems. Your not going to be paying attention to your surroundings as much. Just like driving and talking on the dam phone. Why can't people just do one thing at a time. If some one has their ipod on while shooting I am leaving and contacting the President of my range and having a little discussion with him about it.

It is not safe not at all. Sorry firearms are dangerous and weather you want to believe it ALL FIREARMS can KILL people. This is something that should take all your attention and you should be on alert at all times. If you are not alert to the surroundings at all times then you raise the risk even higher and it shouldn't be.

jeepcreep927 07-24-2009 10:27 PM

In my opinion it's an un-needed and unacceptable distraction when all your attention should be focused on the task at hand.

Nomad 1 07-28-2009 02:11 AM

Music while shooting

I too will weigh in on the side of music being an unnecessary distraction while shooting.

I must admit, though, that this may be a generational issue. I work in the building trades and the younger guys (never thought I'd say that!) seem to like the music going all day and loud. Heck, even the tool companies sell combo battery charger / boom box set ups. Drives me nuts. Fortunately age and seniority let me work on my own.;)

I ride a motorcycle (HD FLHTC). I will listen to the stereo while on familiar roads. (i.e. commuting) Any other time I keep the stereo off. This is to enhance both safety and the enjoyment of the trip.

I think that shooting requires a singular focus and music in the head set is not appropriate to this end. The only other thing I want to be on the alert for is the range officer. For safety reasons alone I say no.:(

mrm14 07-28-2009 04:32 AM

Just tried listinging to music while shooting a few weeks ago. Seems like Prodogy and Chrystal Method (angry techo) works well for me. I dont crank the Ipod up too much but can still hear it well. Still hear range officer calling cease fires for target checking also. Dont know how much I'll do this but it was kind of cool.

Lindenwood 07-28-2009 01:23 PM

I never thought of listening to music at the same time either, but I'd imagine it would be just like driving. If the volume is at a subdued level, low enough to have a conversation with the passenger, and the driver isn't dancing around the seat, then it isn't dangerous. When you get the crazy punk kids who have the music so loud it annoys everyone else at the intersection, who are dancing and bobbing their heads, that's when it gets dangerous.

I think if one can't safely handle a firearm while listening to some quiet music, then they shouldn't be handling a firearm anyways.