Mosin Nagant 91/30 Range data *75 yards*
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Mosin Nagant 91/30 Range data *75 yards*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Mosin Nagant 91/30 Range data *75 yards*

Date- A few weeks ago
Range- 75 yards
Conditions- indoor, room temperature
Ammo- Sellier & Bellot 180 Grain #2940

Grouping was 5 rounds in a 2.5 Inch group. Threw the range targets away but it was a pretty good group. No scope, just plan sights brought down to default range of 300 meters (i think)

Not the longest distance but I am pretty satisfied. Close quarters combat ranges and home defense ranges.

More reports with Ruger 10/.22 LR coming soon!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Last edited by molonlabexx; 02-22-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #2

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Date- A few weeks ago
Range- 75 yards
Conditions- indoor, room temperature
Ammo- Sellier & Bellot 180 Grain #2940

Grouping was 5 rounds in a 2.5 Inch pattern. Threw the range targets away but it was a pretty good group. No scope, just plan sights brought down to default range of 300 meters (i think)

Not the longest distance but I am pretty satisfied. Close quarters combat ranges and home defense ranges.

More reports with Ruger 10/.22 LR coming soon!
Patterns are for shotguns. CQ, better have a bayonet attached. They are minute of man rifles. I would not like to be 400 yards in front of one.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/ralph/ralph’s-guide-to-your-first-mosin-nagant-9130-pt-3/

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

beaglesam Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Patterns are for shotguns. CQ, better have a bayonet attached. They are minute of man rifles. I would not like to be 400 yards in front of one.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/ralph/ralph’s-guide-to-your-first-mosin-nagant-9130-pt-3/
My apologies. You are correct, patterns are shotgun terminology. They were sighted in to be fired with the bayonets on, the Russians did not want them to take the bayonets off the rifle. As far as the ammo correction goes, the box is hard to read but you are correct, spelled with an "S". Thanks for the input & corrections. Fixed both mistakes on original post!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #4

Quote:
My apologies. You are correct, patterns are shotgun terminology. They were sighted in to be fired with the bayonets on, the Russians did not want them to take the bayonets off the rifle. As far as the ammo correction goes, the box is hard to read but you are correct, spelled with an "S". Thanks for the input & corrections. Fixed both mistakes on original post!

If you read the article I posted, you will see there was no official way they were sighted in. It was up to the rifleman to figure out what target "hold" to use. I have found most shoot 6..8" high at 100 yards. 6 o'clock hold takes care of that. Everything changes again switching from light ball to heavy ball. The rifle was designed for heavy ball, but rarely saw any in its' lifetime.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #5

Quote:
If you read the article I posted, you will see there was no official way they were sighted in. It was up to the rifleman to figure out what target "hold" to use. I have found most shoot 6..8" high at 100 yards. 6 o'clock hold takes care of that. Everything changes again switching from light ball to heavy ball. The rifle was designed for heavy ball, but rarely saw any in its' lifetime.
Removing the bayonet alters barrel harmonics

Sighted in was up to them but they were ordered to keep the bayonet on, as it was a standard for CQC

Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Removing the bayonet alters barrel harmonics

Sighted in was up to them but they were ordered to keep the bayonet on, as it was a standard for CQC
Sighting was done at the factory. Now if you have ever put a bayonet on a 91/30, they are a pita to get off. If you look at what was issued to the Soviet soldier, there was no frog or scabbard issued for the bayonet. Where else could you keep it? It was not for CQC, it was out of no other place to keep it. The Soviets came up w/ the PPsh after the Winter war with Finland. The Finn's armed w/ Soumi's devastated the Soviets in the dense forests. The Soviets got their second lesson from the German infantry and their sub guns in urban environments.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Sighting was done at the factory. Now if you have ever put a bayonet on a 91/30, they are a pita to get off. If you look at what was issued to the Soviet soldier, there was no frog or scabbard issued for the bayonet. Where else could you keep it? It was not for CQC, it was out of no other place to keep it. The Soviets came up w/ the PPsh after the Winter war with Finland. The Finn's armed w/ Soumi's devastated the Soviets in the dense forests. The Soviets got their second lesson from the German infantry and their sub guns in urban environments.
I would have to disagree with the CQC statement. They were in fact ordered to keep them on, I guess partially because they did not have a sheath/scabbard. Stalingrad was a battle where they were ordered to not take them off. They charged the Germans street by street. Keep in mind, these guys were given a clip of ammo and another followed with the other clip. In all the chaos, I doubt the original 2 soldiers would meet up and trade off by who dies first. The bayonet was the last line of offense. In other battles, the bayonet would have not been useful for the purpose it was in Stalingrad. You can't kill people with a bayonet from 300 yards away, but in CQC you can, and that is what they did.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #8

Not attempting to get into a pissing contest, but.... your off base.
Read this..
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPSh-41

and read the 1st article I posted.

Don't forget, it is 48.5" log and weighs 8.8lb without the bayonet. 66.5" with. That is 5.54 feet. Remember, they were not running at each other like the civil war. What you saw watching Enemy at the Gates was hollywood, not actual fact. If it was, why no bayonets on any of the 91/30's during the charge or later in the fountian???

Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #9

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

My 91, with a scope, off a bench, with Winchester ammo, without a bayonet will shoot MOA. Usually 2 of 3 holes touching. Could never come close to that with Wolf or surplus. And I wouldn't doubt you could use the bayonet at 300 yards, you may need to use the gun to "poll vault" over to the enemy first, but I think it could be done.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
My 91, with a scope, off a bench, with Winchester ammo, without a bayonet will shoot MOA. Usually 2 of 3 holes touching. Could never come close to that with Wolf or surplus. And I wouldn't doubt you could use the bayonet at 300 yards, you may need to use the gun to "poll vault" over to the enemy first, but I think it could be done.
With a bayonet as long as my leg, anything can be done.