Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Mosin Mania

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Mania

Been too long since the last time I got to go plinking, so my younger son and I headed out to the desert this afternoon. We worked out my little .32 auto Czech CZ-50, the .38 Special Smith & Wesson snubbie revolver we inherited from my mother-in-law, my .30-30 Winchester 94 lever-action, and a couple of .22 rifles. Then we got down to the serious stuff: he pulled his 1917 Mosin Nagant M-91 out of the truck, and I unwrapped my Mosin 91/59. Between the two, we had the longest and shortest lengths that Mosins were made in. We used them to destroy milk jugs, soda cans and paper targets, while probably scaring the wildlife for miles around.

We had a camera with us. But with just the two of us out there, no one thought to dig it out until dusk, when my son decided to get a shot of the Dr. Pepper cans he had destroyed. That came out surprisingly clear in the gloom, using a flash. Then he decided that while he was at it, he'd get a shot of my 91/59 in action.

Fireballs? Pooh...seen 'em before, and I'm not impressed. How about some real fun--like maybe a blowtorch?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Have got to love the Mosins! Seems like an awesome time.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The fireballs are one of my favorite things about Mosins. Looks like it was a fun day.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The fireballs are one of my favorite things about Mosins. Looks like it was a fun day.
It was a very nice day. We toted along a couple of steaks marinating in Italian Dressing in Ziploc bags. When it got too dark to shoot, we dug out the steaks and grilled them on my Lodge grill, and what was left of the bottle of dressing went into a bag of pre-cut salad. If we'd thought to bring along a couple of potatoes and onions, we'd have been in hog heaven.

It's the sort of thing we used to do on a regular basis. But somehow, I seem to have spent the last year or so running in place, frantically trying to take care of important things while letting the fun stuff slide. Time to reorder my priorities again, I think.

Here's a stock picture of a Lodge grill, by the way. I have a picture of mine with a couple of steaks on it somewhere in my picture gallery, but wasn't ambitious enough to go looking for it. It's one of my treasured possessions; I use it to death.

Prices have gotten insane. I just checked Amazon, and they wanted $104.00 for one. Mine was a gift from my older son a few years ago. He was working at a Walmart, and they had one on the shelves they couldn't sell. They kept dropping the price and dropping it, while the box got more and more battered and bedraggled. When the price hit rock bottom he bought it, and gave it to me for Christmas. With his employee's discount, I think it cost him about eight bucks.

The door with the landscape on it opens by tilting out; it's just held by a couple of tabs on the bottom stuck into slots. That's where you add more charcoal if needed. Under it is a damper door, that just slides left or right to control the air.

You notice the cooking grate is up on legs. If you want the food closer to the coals, you just flip it over. And there's a cast-iron grate inside too, that the charcoal sits on. It's a very simple design, and a very good one; basically it's an upgraded hibachi.

Last edited by troy2000; 03-02-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That is a very cool grill. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #6

Hey hey, the Grill can cook,, BUT,, can she shoot!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 AM   #7

Hey hey, the Grill can cook,, BUT,, can she shoot! hehehe Looks like you had a ball friend, I also need to re-order my priorities!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That looks like soooo much fun would love to have been there!!!!

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 03-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'd like to get one of the Mosin rifles. Cheap to buy and probably fun to shoot eh?

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
I'd like to get one of the Mosin rifles. Cheap to buy and probably fun to shoot eh?
Loads of fun to shoot. Noisy, too. If you fire one at a range, everyone turns around to see who brought the cannon.

They're also reliable and accurate....