You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Mosin M39- all lined up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6026 Times on 4012 Posts
Likes Given: 3117

Default Mosin M39- all lined up

I bought this rifle at a gun show. It came with a standard (probably mil-Surp) AK side monorail on the left side of the receiver. (All pics below, I still don't know how to insert them between paragraphs). It was for sale with a mil-surp Russian or Romanian AK scope, which I declined to buy - too worn out. The bolt handle was bent, in order to clear the scope, but retained the matching serial number.

I used a side mounted Pic rail scope base. It had to be cut to allow the bolt turn. Fortunately, enough rail was left to mount a modern scope. I went through several scopes and ammo combinations. Mosin shooters know that good factory 7.62x54R ammo is expensive, 75c a pop on a good day. It comes in several variations, most affordable being the Serbian PPU ranging from 150gr to 182gr.

Today I zeroed the simple 4x scope that I had a thread about. No factory markings. The board decided it was probably an older Tapco. It was a freebie from a local dealer, at Christmas time. Turns out, it did better than the 12x Leupold I had mounted previously. The results were so so because, as I realized, this Mosin had "too much scope" on it.

Today after a quick zeroing I shot a group of 3, best so far. Added one more shot. Then, I'll be honest, decided to quit that target, before a good photo-op is spoiled

Proceeded with shooting the iron sights. Those are also aftermarket, the dioptric Mojo sights. Double ghost ring.

The ammo was PPU 150 gr Soft Tip. (A hunting variety). Distance 100 yards. I also used an improvised cheek rest with the scope - a piece of pipe insulation.
I don't know about you, but it's good enough for me!
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg m3.JPG (45.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg m1.JPG (30.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg m2.JPG (34.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Mercator; 06-28-2015 at 11:09 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1543 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Theres a lot to be said for iron sights on military rifles. In the Marines we qualled with iron sights on M14s at 500 yards. I think overall too much reliance is placed on scopes. IMO, if you have good iron sights that can be adjusted for windage and elevation, enjoy em.
People Like This