Mosin is getting there - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Mosin is getting there

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Not much tweaking, Free floated to the chamber, Shimed the action to stabalize, Pollished the sear and all mating surfaces on the bolt, Added 5/64 in. to the front sight.
I'm not sure where I'm going with the trigger, maybe Hubler or Timney, I tried all the easy fixes for the trigger but I feel they are unsafe and removed all of them. The only thing I wont be able to rectify are my eyes. I think the gun already out shoots me but I might be able to close the gap with a smoother crisper trigger.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #12

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The trigger is one thing I absolutely will not touch on my MN. I just got really lucky, like I said, it's a bit on the heavy side with about a 5-6 lb pull (by guesstimate) but it breaks so clean and has no overtravel whatsoever. It does have a bit of creep though, but not much.

It's comparable to my grandfather's old model 70 trigger (post '64) but his had no creep at all and no overtravel. Both snap like a glass rod.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #13

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

That's some pretty nice shooting, for iron sights.

I'm not bad with my M44 at 50 yards, but I'm all over the paper

at 100 yards...

Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #14

Timney on the way, will be here Tuesday, Let the inleting begin. Looks like i'm going to have to get some modern ammo just to try. I have plenty of milsurp ammo for my weekly recoil fix. I have a whole different opinion of the MN since my first one. I think I'm in the later stages of Mosinitis, it may be incureable but it is in remission for the time being. At least until I come acrossed another. 5 and counting!

In case anyone bought a warped ATI stock, I straightened one, pretty easy.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #15

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default shooting the Arctic tomato stake

I ended up thinning the Mosin Herd growing in the closit (91/30, 3 Finn 91's and a all matching T53), I ended up with a homely tomato stake (rusty barreld action) the muzzle was badly over stamped by importer to the point it actually deformed the bore, after the herd went down the way and I had Savage 110 that shot like a house afire I shouldent have looked in the back shed, I had a MosinItis relapse and couldent leave the model 91 tomato stake with dark bore alone, With a morbid fasination telling my self I was going to build it up enuf to shoot to see if it'd blow up or what?
I chickend out and bobbed the muzzle 5" and got a used bolt assy for $30 and more parts for trigger/ sear / spring and mag ($60), head spaced it using a disc of typing paper (bolt wouldent close on the round) that told me the head space even with compressd paper was less than .005" well within the headspace tolerances, She was put in a ATI stock as I had nothing else to use (Bush AK) it passed the tire test, as it was missing sights and was bob'd I figured to scope it, and did, using 210gr Wolf hunting ammo it was spookey just how accurate a tomato stake with a dark bore could be?
shooting sid by side with the Savage there neck and neck Ive shot the 147gr Czech ammo which shoots 13" higher at 190Yds will shredd a heat bottle out on the frozzen Kotzebue Sound, as Im more comfortable using the wolf, I was given a 7.65 1891 Argentine Mauser, Jepetto the 1891 Carcano (7.62x39mm) and The Finn 'Lotta' fun gun (pun on Finn word for gal) are all going to dip outta the same bullet bag of remington CorLokt 200gr .312" Bullets I got through Bufflo supply, Jeppetto is back from a stay with a friend that wasnt so friendly and unknowingly shot corrosive and never cleaned it and now has a bum bore, have a sexy Bishop stock and a Enfield Mk III barrel just waiting to snuggle into jepettos Action with some ideas to have her turn out like the below photo when finished.

3662146.jpg  

Old 10-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #16

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default mabe try counter boring to bring in groups

My 91 Lotta has bob'd barrel (26") and groups are tight enuff to hit heet bottle's at 194 paces, I'd say mabe take in and get her counterbored a 1/8" to 1/4" that may be enuf to tighten the choke on her
I had a [sa] 1897 Tula that was counter bored 1.65" that still shot mediocre 5" patterns at 100 yds. I think it was ramrod reamed out to a bigger choke.
I have a $15 yard sale Savage.22 counter bored back 4.75" , It shoots purty close for a counter bored yard sale gun good enuff to harvest Ptmargan at 50yds will stay inside the pepsi logo out at 30 yards.

From a bore that got the HOPPE's #9 a brass brushhing a jag a and patches till I thought she was squeeky clean.

I'd electro Bore cleaned the Lotta and..... "ALotta" nasty stuff bubbled out that bore, she still shoots tight even though shes got a dark bore, the rifling is strong looking, my guess is its the Muzzle job from the bobbing thats allows it to hit Heet Bottles at 190 paces.
I didnt have to mess with the trigger either, the sear tite fits tight and almost binds, I think Im lucky with my generic componets, if your having a bad trigger try swapping out 2-3 diffrent sears and springs keep swapping till you get waht works best, mine was fools luck how it turned out.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 10-12-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #17

I got home from taking my Mom for blood work this morning and UPS had left my Timney inside my front door. I waited until my Wife left for work and headed for the garage. An hour and a half later I left for the range , Mosin in hand. I only had an hour before I had to be back home. I put up a target at 100 yds and shot 5 rounds. The target below was the results, a 5 shot group just under 2 inches. I've been giddy since. The Timney is amazing and tightened my group up better than I ever dreamed I would be able to shoot. I thought HMM immagine how well it would shoot with a scope but I got a grip on that. Why bother spoiling the origional glory of this old war stick. It's been restocked, retriggered, free floated and the bolt handle is bent, its been tweaked here and there but I can have it back to its unalterd 100% the way I bought in less than 20 minutes. It was a fun project, although not a financially prudent projectit was fun and informative. I could buy a new rifle for less than I spent on this $69.95 Aim Surplus Ishy 91/30. I may restore it and do the other 4 Mosins I have, 1 at a time just to see if they are potentially as accurate as this one.

For those of you that think Mosins aren't accurate, thats what I once thought. They can be and usually are with some coaxing. I think they are the perfect first rifle for a young shooter that likes to tinker (with supervision of a senseable adult).

100-yd-russian-10-18-2011.jpg
100_0664b.jpg

Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 10-19-2011 at 01:16 AM.